XF 1.5 Blacklisted IP counts as hard bounce?

NeoCHI

If my server's IP get's blacklisted and all emails I sent out bounce because the recipient's email provider stops accepting them, does this count as a hard bounce causing those members to be set with an "invalid email" if I setup automated bounce email handling.

It's hard to say generically as it depends the exact error code. It would probably be considered a soft bounce (which would give you a chance to resolve it or it would eventually become a hard bounce).

That doesn't put my heart at ease....I want to use the automated bounce email cause I'd like to install the weekly digest addon but I sporadically get blacklisted by Microsoft email domains cause I'm guessing some idiots mark my forum's email as spam instead of just changing their user settings...

Well the purpose of the handler is to stop sending mail to users that aren't receiving it (because of any rejection notice) and to push them to update their email. Provided you're getting a bounce message returned, we will process it. But we only consider "fatal" errors to be hard bounces -- this is generally only the case when we get a response saying the mailbox is invalid. Most other bounces will be soft bounces (which will only become a hard bounce after we receive a few of them).

I can't tell you how a hypothetical bounce message would be processed. I'd need to see it specifically. However, I think that temporary or context-based rejections should be considered soft bounces as they would relate to the specific content of the email or external elements that should ideally be resolved. If you wanted to change that, you'd need custom development.

That doesn't put my heart at ease....I want to use the automated bounce email cause I'd like to install the weekly digest addon but I sporadically get blacklisted by Microsoft email domains cause I'm guessing some idiots mark my forum's email as spam instead of just changing their user settings...
I've recently set up a bounce account also to take advantage of the feature and, sure enough, Hotmail.com is blocking me.

Here's a thread you may be interested in.... https://xenforo.com/community/threads/hotmail-blacklisted-how-to-get-off-this-list.107305/. I've just put a request in to MS for my domain.

The problem isn't that setting up automated bounce will cause Microsoft to block me or how to get unblocked. The issue is if you have automated bounce setup while your blocked by Microsoft, bounced emails may auto set a bunch of Microsoft email users' as "invalid email"...

Top Bottom