Big boards do not equal big revenue

It's just crazy trying to create a correlation between traffic and revenue for a website. The only way we can do that if we make a big assumption or generalization, and say ADSENSE REVENUE can be calculated. In that case, yes.

But there are so many things that can produce revenue (direct ad selling, other forms of passive revenue such as offering upgrades in the community, services offering of some sort, sponsors, even product selling, etc etc) that it is very difficult to correlate traffic with revenue.

Of course having more traffic helps but most websites I know (including some of my own to be honest), don't really generate significant revenue while they have lots of traffic.

I've been running forums for 10 years. For me, it's all about the niche. How unique your site is and how valuable are your members to advertisers? I don't do any ad networks, all my ads are direct contract. It's hard work, but my main forum, ControlBooth.com, generates about 1/3 of my take home revenue, and it only took the last 5 years of going to conventions twice a year, making connections, getting one big company to advertise, and saying, SEE?! ________ advertises with me! Why aren't you?!

It's unbelievably hard work and discipline to maintain these contracts, but it's meant all the difference for my site and our lifestyle. I'm not rich, and sometimes things are still tight, but for the most part, I'm doing okay for me and my family. (wife + 3 boys)

I've been running forums for 10 years. For me, it's all about the niche. How unique your site is and how valuable are your members to advertisers? I don't do any ad networks, all my ads are direct contract. It's hard work, but my main forum, ControlBooth.com, generates about 1/3 of my take home revenue, and it only took the last 5 years of going to conventions twice a year, making connections, getting one big company to advertise, and saying, SEE?! ________ advertises with me! Why aren't you?!

It's unbelievably hard work and discipline to maintain these contracts, but it's meant all the difference for my site and our lifestyle. I'm not rich, and sometimes things are still tight, but for the most part, I'm doing okay for me and my family. (wife + 3 boys)
After how much time did you earn enough to make a living of it?

After how much time did you earn enough to make a living of it?

Honestly, I still don't earn a living off of my site yet, but this year, I am earning enough to go down to part time at my day job, to give me more time to work on my forums and accelerate the pace at which I can hopefully, eventually be able to support my family solely from revenue from these forums.

Top Bottom