Big board will not go live with XenForo due to lack of maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that after the last debarcle on here, Kier popped up for a day, and has gone all quiet again since - almost as if to just quell the rumors that he was off hiding.... To be fair mike has gone quiet too...

OP does have a point to be fair, and it is something i've thought about before - lots of "fixed bugs", however these don't in reality get "fixed" until the next release - which means we are running a couple of months late ;)

I think you'll find Kier has been here almost daily and has been working hard: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resolved-bugs/?prefix_id=4

Whilst i agree he's probably been "around" i think you'll also find 3 pages worth of bug reports (ok, 2 if you take into account the ones that are confirmed or cannot be reproduced).

I have no doubts that people are working behind the scenes, however with nothing mentioned, no roadmap, no updates, no nothing really, it's starting me make me think that i should move elsewhere. Great forum software, probably good support (thankfully have never needed to use it yet - testament to the great product!), however with the likes of Floris leaving, Ragtek needing to take time off to chill, and Robbo perminently bogged under with work (from what i understand) and other than the unreleased RM and the work and efforts of a few, we really arent that much further forward then we were when v1.0 was released! all IMO of course :) and look - before anyone says it - i'm a great supporter of the software, and want someone somewhere to fill me with confidence!

Paul, I am in the same boat. I would like to buy the license but no road map, no interaction from developers here since last couple of months makes bit hard to guess what future plans are from XF team.

If by end of June their is no update from XF team I would go live with IPB. I like XF more then IPB but I am left with no other option unless someone sells me XF license in cheap price :p

Paul, I am in the same boat. I would like to buy the license but no road map, no interaction from developers here since last couple of months makes bit hard to guess what future plans are from XF team.

If by end of June their is no update from XF team I would go live with IPB. I like XF more then IPB but I am left with no other option unless someone sells me XF license in cheap price :p

Oh i have a license - i was one of the early adoptors and have followed it all the way from the exciting day of release. what i was saying is that it;s the same as last time - it's been 122 days since RM was released here - not a sniff of whether it will ever be released to the masses - 114 days since the last "maintenance" update. Hey i'm all for slow and steady and thorough coding, however thats like 1/3rd of a year - with a slow and steady of "small" add-ons (with the very odd exception of course).

Maybe i'm just getting bored and more resigned to the fact that as this trial drags on development will be severely hampered :(

A vague roadmap would definitely be nice because then I'll know whether to buy a mod, have someone custom code a mod, or wait for the next release. It doesn't have to be a thorough roadmap, but just something to go off of that they know will be added. And maybe even a list of "possibles" for the next release. That would ease the mind of the masses, stop the conspiracy threads, and the rude people making comments to those trying to figure out what is going on with the product. Some of us took a big leap to move over, others are counting on this software for their next big product. Without much to go on, it's kind of hard to set a path for ourselves and our sites. A better update than the "we are still working on the product" would be nice.

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

With no major bugs, new features have time to be developed and tested to a proving point before we see them and they just work. I can honestly say precision all the time at what ever rate of speed is ALWAYS better than fast on a schedule with ups and downs if you are looking for something that is precise.

security and precision are two different understandings to the same unasked question...

The OP's concern is more than valid. I agree especially with this part:

Xenforo has a bunch of open bugs reported in its support forum (note that industry standard practice for security bugs is that those would be reported privately, and not mentioned until a fix is out the door, so these should be the non-security bugs).

There should be a forum where people can report security bugs privatly. Imagine someone finds a critical security bug and tells everyone about it in the open bug report forum. You can bet your ass that XenForo sites will as a result be hacked by script kiddies.
MyBB is a free software with a team of volunteers and yet they manage to have a private security report forum and to release security fixes asap after their report dates. A maintenance release was released just a few days ago. Why does a free forum software team release updates more frequently than a commercial forum software team?

The OP's concern is more than valid. I agree especially with this part:

A maintenance release was released just a few days ago. Why does a free forum software team release updates more frequently than a commercial forum software team?

they have less obligations because they are a free forum software....

but to be more precise you must ask the root of that question, why do other software titles need more frequent maintenance releases.

Simple, because they have given into the client base most of which have no experience coding or selling code and therefor little to no insight on the matter and released things on a schedule even though they could have been tested more thoroughly and therefor to a person who does not know it looks like things are getting done now while they are really just fixing their errors....on the other hand...with XF, development works by building, testing extensively and then rolling it out. They don't sacrifice the principle and they get it done right the first time..

In the end they (XF) are actually short changing themselves in order to deliver a product with a lower tolerance for error and when you look at the timeline of history here they are actually faster than everyone else and don't release until it is ready.

That is doing a good job and being ahead of the pack where I am from.

If your looking for regular updates of any type from the XF devs you may as well move along now.. Its not going to happen in the foreseeable future.. These guys have flat out refused to produce even a road map from day one.. If your ok with a 2 or 3 releases a year your in the right place..

For the record i personally have no complaints just stating my opinion on the matter. Truth is i perfer this over vB's rapid fire release schedule. I personally hated feeling obligated to update my communities what seemed like 2 to 3 times a month.

2 or 3 releases a year, well that'd be ok really, as long as any security issues were fixed promptly. The trouble is, there's no certainty that even 2 or 3 releases a year will be forthcoming any more.

I'm all for a bit of doom mongering but shouldnt we at least wait till the release date for 1.2 comes and goes past without any comment from the Devs before we start talking about lack of certainty?

I very much doubt either Kier or Mike will abandon XenForo because it would be tantamount to career suicide. Whichever one of them dumps this software and goes off to make a new one will start getting a reputation as a quitter. I for one would stick with XF or move onto another software if something of this nature turned out to be true.

It's not in either persons interest to sabotage the other and I'm fully confident that they will release 1.2 on schedule because if they are already behind and haven't revised their schedule and kept us informed then that's just poor customer service.

It seems like we are building up to the inevitable again here, where people want to hear from Kier or Mike or else they are going to get upset again. We have been through this before. On June 30, 2012 if xenForo 1.2 isn't out and we haven't heard a whisper from Kier or Mike, then you guys can start worrying. Until then, development is underway. I would love a maintenance release myself and I can understand that concern, which is the actual point brought up by the original poster. However, I also have a hunch that being so close to 1.2, that Kier might be rolling up the maintenance release into 1.2 to save time and valuable resources. Just a hunch, but I am willing to wait it out and see.

It seems like we are building up to the inevitable again here, where people want to hear from Kier or Mike or else they are going to get upset again. We have been through this before. On June 30, 2012 if xenForo 1.2 isn't out and we haven't heard a whisper from Kier or Mike, then you guys can start worrying. Until then, development is underway. I would love a maintenance release myself and I can understand that concern, which is the actual point brought up by the original poster. However, I also have a hunch that being so close to 1.2, that Kier might be rolling up the maintenance release into 1.2 to save time and valuable resources. Just a hunch, but I am willing to wait it out and see.

Completely agree. Let's not make a habit out of this fear mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom