Best way to use media gallery for a photo competition

Mr Lucky

Anyone know what is the best way to do this?

e.g. I want people to upload their photos, but they can't be rated until the closing date.

Can I do this?

I can only find rating permissions per usergroup, if it was a setting per category or per album I could turn off until the closing date for entries. Maybe there is a setting for this and I missed it.

Also could I make the ratings private, ie you can't see who voted?

Any other advice about how to run a photo competition in the gallery gratefully received

Anyone know what is the best way to do this?

e.g. I want people to upload their photos, but they can't be rated until the closing date.

Can I do this?

I can only find rating permissions per usergroup, if it was a setting per category or per album I could turn off until the closing date for entries. Maybe there is a setting for this and I missed it.

Also could I make the ratings private, ie you can't see who voted?

Any other advice about how to run a photo competition in the gallery gratefully received

Have a look at this one then Xen Photo Contest

Well even with the gallery I ended up having to purchase this add on. The way I was doing it before was having the members email me the photos and only at close of entry I would upload them and create a poll like this http://www.triumphtalk.com/threads/voting-for-theme-july-2014-something-old.34570/
I understand that is the way it is now, but I have made a suggestion to enhance the media gallery so it can function better for a contest:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/use-the-gallery-for-a-photo-contest.87134/

Please add to that thread if you think it is a good idea.

If anything, it's more likely it won't change.

Note that it was requested that it be made as an add-on, and my response was that I wanted to concentrate on the core of the Gallery rather than creating add-ons for it.

I'm still of the opinion it is more appropriate as an add-on than anything else. Who knows, maybe even @Sniper might consider adapting his Photo Contest code as an add-on to XFMG. But certainly, it would be trivial for any developer to do this.

Well even with the gallery I ended up having to purchase this add on. The way I was doing it before was having the members email me the photos and only at close of entry I would upload them and create a poll like this http://www.triumphtalk.com/threads/voting-for-theme-july-2014-something-old.34570/
This is how I do photo contests on my forum without the use of the gallery. I start the thread and as the photos are sent to me via email I add them as attachments like below. Then the members can browse through them and go to the poll and vote for their favorite one. I even add the name of the cat in the corner with Gimp (Photoshop)

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 5.27.01 AM.webp

And people are starting to like my suggestion in the suggestions thread (please add more likes there folks, try to convince Chris it's worth doing)

If anything, it's more likely it won't change.

Sounds like there is a small possibility then?

It is so close to being fine for a basic contest: All it really needs is to be able to set an album so people can't add ratings until the final entry date.

Top Bottom