XF 1.3 Best way to setup usergroups

XoO

Hey,
I've been throwing this around for a while and I cant seem to come up with anything to do what I'm looking for, short of me making a plugin to do it.

Here's how my usergroups are setup:
There are 4 groups for the general public that should work as a ladder:
Registered (gives the tag: Guest)
Newbie (gives the tag: Newbie)
Member (gives the tag: Member)
Veteran (gives the tag: veteran)

I have the above part set up using the user titles and display orders, that part works fine

The area where i'm having trouble is the following setup, done using user banners:
Admin (has admin banner)
Director (has director banner)
Commander (has commander banner)
Officer (has officer banner)
Squad Leader (has squad leader banner)
Member (has division member banner)

The problem i'm having is that, I'm currently promoting people to the above ranks using promotions that are given out manually. The reasoning behind this is that for example Commander needs to be able to see the global commander's area and their area specific commander's area, so there is a global commander group and a private commander group and they're put inside the officer usergroup because they inherit all their permissions from there.

The issue i have is that, if someone is a Member, then gets promoted to squad leader, then to commander, they would end up with all 3 banners instead of just the commander banner.
However I do want multiple banners enabled so that people like Admins and directors can also do other things. For example a Director in one area can be a Commander in another (so he would need both banners)

Any ideas on how to do this kind of setup with the core functionality or any preexisting addons? (I'm open to reworking the entire system provided it can support the ranks I need)

You could create additional groups to separate the banners from the permissions. That way you can assign banners (by group) independent of permissions (by group).

You could create additional groups to separate the banners from the permissions. That way you can assign banners (by group) independent of permissions (by group).
I currently have that set up
Do you mean I should manually give the banner rank and automatically give the promotion containing permissions?

My main issue is that if someone moves up every rank, I don't want someone with squad leader, officer and commander

However it is okay to be commander and director

I think you're confusing banner stacking with permission stacking. The two are not related.

Even if the banner isn't showing, the user will still have all of the permissions of the user groups they belong to. But, only the banner for the highest user group will show.

Top Bottom