XF 1.2 Best way to configure these privileges?

Marcel

Hi

We have a couple of extra usergroups and relevant promotions.
Classifieds access when activity reaches 60 days registered, and 25 posts (Gives access to the Classifieds forums)
Extra priveleges when posts reach x (Gives ability to PM and vote on Polls)

Currently in vB, we use the reputation system so we can remove the above promotions.
Everyone has a default reputation of 10, given when they sign up. The above two vB promotions require a reputation of 10 to promote.

To remove someone's access we remove them from the secondary usergroup, and to stop re-promotion we reset their rep to 0. (There's no way publically of them gaining rep, we don't use it).

How best to do this on XenForo?

I see we can either :
Use custom User Permissions, one for the PM's and Voting per user, and then again on a per node basis.
Or we could use another two secondary usergroups, with the NEVER flag set where appropriate. To remove access we just add them to this secondary usergroup(s).

I'm tempted to go with the second option. It does seem much easier and logical (and better to control globally if we redefine our options/forums etc), or is there another way I haven't thought of?

You could also use UserFields

Create a new UserField called "Never Promote"
In the UserGroup promotion add a condition to check that the field is never set

You can always "Edit" the user and change the value of the field for the users that you don't want to re-promote. Then what you would do is "remove the secondary usergroup, and set the custom field"

Your option of using two usergroups works too

Just have 3 usergroups:

• The default one everyone is a member of, which has the default permission set.
  • One that has all permissions and node permissions set to not set, except the classifieds forum
  • One that has all permissions and node permissions set to not set, except PC and poll use.
Then setup promotions with the relevant user criteria (posts & days registered), and have it move them to the relevant usergroup(s).

Liam, thanks, that's how I've already set the promotions and permissions up, and it works perfectly :)
I think you misunderstood, that's not the problem. The problem is when we want to prevent that promotion (or remove it and prevent re-promotion :))
Rigel, thanks. That is indeed another option, I hadn't thought of that.

Liam, thanks, that's how I've already set the promotions and permissions up, and it works perfectly :)
I think you misunderstood, that's not the problem. The problem is when we want to prevent that promotion (or remove it and prevent re-promotion :))
Rigel, thanks. That is indeed another option, I hadn't thought of that.

There is an option in the promotions to stop a promotions applying to a user, or to manually demote a user. Could that be used, or does it need to be front end?

Yup, I've *just* found that and came here to say ignore me, but you beat me to it :D

That's perfect for what we need. I never knew that existed. Thanks :)

I really can't wait until we unleash this software to our members.

Yup, I've *just* found that and came here to say ignore me, but you beat me to it :D

That's perfect for what we need. I never knew that existed. Thanks :)

I really can't wait until we unleash this software to our members.

The xenForo admin panel always surprises me with new functions as well ;)

I only knew about that because I'm always in the promotions section trying to figure out why a promotion didn't apply...

Anyhow, glad it'll be fine :)

Liam

Hmmm now to figure out how I can batch apply this to the users who were denied the promotion before......
Reputation isn't ported over, so maybe I could use an unused custom field..... *thinks*

Top Bottom