1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to capture How-to videos?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Robert F Schmitz, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

What would the xF community recommend to make videos such as the ones made by Kier?

I want to put together some How-to videos for members so that they can get the most out of their transition from a vb forum to a xf forum.

I am running Windows 7.
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Rob Fritz and Ati like this.
  3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Rob Fritz likes this.
  4. Robert F Schmitz

I tried this ragtek and it does a wonderful job on the first one and now keeps crashing. The first was full screen the following ones I did one a selected window.

I will give that a shot too, thanks.
  5. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Strange, for me it's working fine on win7
  6. Robert F Schmitz

I will reboot and see what happens.
  7. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

If Mac... there is only one true genius in this realm, iShowuHD Pro.

Had this discussion myself a while ago, and Kier uses the standard Mac screen capture I believe, then uploads it direct to Vimeo. I use iShowU HD Pro in 1080p, then upload to my Vimeo Plus account.

Having a Vimeo plus account makes a huge difference to your video quality. You can screen capture in 1080p, upload to Vimeo and present it in true 1080p. Youtube doesn't play nice with 1080p unless you have a special account that will do it correctly. Even Vimeo, when you upload 1080p, having a plus account allows you to convert and display 1080p correctly. Youtube will screw it up on a standard account.
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I concur. Especially comparing Kier's Vimeo screen capture videos vs the how to' videos I am making and uploading to my smugmug account - which costs the same as Vimeo. Ironically with normal everyday videos that do not have anything to do with computers Smugmug works 'ok'.

And I am sure there are many other places to upload, or even host the videos on your own server.

Quick tip: Clear audio can add a tremendous amount of value to a how to video..
  9. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Kier uses QuickTime X...

I use Camtasia Studio. Hefty price tag, but it gets the job done.