XF 2.2 Best Email Setup

Ntown

Building a brand new board in anticipation of a mass migration and need to have bulletproof email settings.

What should I do?

SMTP is the best way to go IMO I have tried most of the main providers and ended up with Postmark. There is a small charge, but deliverability is way better than any of the so-called "free" providers such as mailgun, wher you are always playing whackamole with blacklisted IPs.

One day I'd get blacklisted, they would deal with it and change the IP but because it was free it took time before they saw the ticket and repsonded. Same with Sendgrid free. So unless you want to pay > £80 a month for dedicated IP, I'd go with something like Postmark who give good reputation for a very small price.

Any big reason to convert from Amazon's service over to something like Postmark? Does it justify the cost as we don't send out too many transactional emails each month?

Any big reason to convert from Amazon's service over to something like Postmark? Does it justify the cost as we don't send out too many transactional emails each month?
For me it was deliverability. From time to time hotmail and btinternet would blacklist Amazon (free shared IP).

I've tried many transactional email services (SparkPost, SendGrid, MailGun) and I ended up using Amazon SES with 3 boards. It works great with bounce emails too and it's cheap.

For me it was deliverability. From time to time hotmail and btinternet would blacklist Amazon (free shared IP).

SendGrid was the same experience as well ya? I like the fact they offer transactional and marketing emails (different products but under one account).

SendGrid, owners of Authy, are considered one of the largest sources of spam these days. So many compromised and hacked accounts sold on the darkweb for spammers to abuse and send the max. amount of emails per month. Despite buying Authy back in 2015(2016?), they've never implemented 2FA on SendGrid customers accounts, leading to the problem they have.
I'd strongly advise against any site owners using SendGrid for their email services.

SendGrid, owners of Authy, are considered one of the largest sources of spam these days. So many compromised and hacked accounts sold on the darkweb for spammers to abuse and send the max. amount of emails per month. Despite buying Authy back in 2015(2016?), they've never implemented 2FA on SendGrid customers accounts, leading to the problem they have.
I'd strongly advise against any site owners using SendGrid for their email services.
just see this and thanks for info @Mouth, that answer me why my outgoing mail so big, installing twice my server because this, though i was enable 2FA but issue still remain. process cancel my sendgrid account and looking another smtp service, will try aws ses.

Once upon a time... our marketing director thought it was a good idea to send a mail campaign through our internal mail server... 30K+ emails. At once. That did not end well for the marketing dept. I was... annoyed. Highly. It took days to clean our mailserver and get our IP off of blacklists - and the sheer amount of bounces that were coming back for days. The poor server nearly died. Of course it was somehow 'my' fault.

Anyway... Setting up and running a mail server is a PITA, but I have been doing it for quite some time. I almost forget it's running. It just works. However, I am running off a business IP and try to avoid sending huge batches of email. The suggestion above about AWS SES is interesting. DMARC, SPF, MX records, spamassassin, postfix, dovecot, fail2ban, certificates, a server, firewall, ports, aliases, virtuals, forwards... make sure you backup whatever config you land on!

Thanks

Top Bottom