Best browser and addon for style development?

speedway

I have pretty much been struggling from day one to find a combination of style elements and colors I really like. I have bought about 10 styles from various authors only to find there was thins I liked and dislike about each one.

I have no money in the kitty for custom style development so have been bumbling along with Chrome Elements but am still stumped in places to get things how I want.

So I am asking seasoned style designers what is the main browser and addons do you use for prototyping and developing your CSS styling? Is it Firefox with the Web Developer addon, Chrome with its Elements ability or something else in the browser world.

I am on a Mac so don't have the same stuff available to me as Windoze stuff has so anything that is cross operating system compatible would be nice to know about.

Itching to know what people use.

Cheers

Firefox + Firebug + Firepicker

The only thing I liked about Chrome was the color picker you could use... well Firepicker solves that problem. It seems easier to use than the Chrome one for some reason in my own opinion.

The only thing I liked about Chrome was the color picker you could use... well Firepicker solves that problem. It seems easier to use than the Chrome one for some reason in my own opinion.

Firepicker Russ? What is this an add-on for Firefox and if you don't mind what does this do?

You know how in Chrome you can pick a color in the css panel and adjust it using the color picker? Firebug lacked that feature... Firepicker lets you do it:)

I just readup on it as you posted. Thanks for replying though :) I use the color picker in PS for this but may very well give this one a try thanks again for posting trying it out now. :thumbsup:

Here I was think this Firebug thing in FF was bloody useless..... then I noticed all the version numbers were wrong. Upgraded FF and installed the latest Firebug and all is well with the world again :)

Here I was think this Firebug thing in FF was bloody useless..... then I noticed all the version numbers were wrong. Upgraded FF and installed the latest Firebug and all is well with the world again :)

hehe I thought the same, I was always wondering why people raved about it so much and then once I migrated to xenforo and thought, "why not give it a try" I couldn't imagine not having it as part of firefox my only regret is I never tried it sooner (years ago) and only started using it when I started using xenforo.

Edit: @Russ - Liking this Firepicker. Thanks again. :)

Opera + Dragonfly: there's a slight learning curve but the workflow with it isn't as janky as a lot of other tools I've used. Like the fact you can use CTRL+W to close the ******* dragonfly form rather than the whole tab.​

Latest FireFox on the Mac sucks... if it is in it's native screen size it's fine
example1.webp
Shrink the window size down and it reflows everything to this
example2.webp

Works fine on my Windows 8 machine tho'... so it's apparently a Mac/FireFox thing.

Works fine on my install - FF 21 OSX 10.60.8

View attachment 46581View attachment 46582

FF 21 on OS/X 10.8.3.
The portal page works fine... it's the forum listing that doesn't.
And just double checked on the Windows 8 box so it's something in my EXTRA.css apparently that doesn't like FF.
And just double checked Chrome... so it's now doing the same thing... Time to start commenting stuff outta EXTRA.css.

Whoops, didn't go there. Just clicked on Forums and bam! Everything was screwed up.

Bummer that, ya just gotta love dealing with different browsers :(

Quickest fix ever for me.
Removed my
Code:
/* Make category list names smaller */
.nodeList .categoryStrip {
margin-right: 1300px !important;
}
that I had to stick in at one time for some icons fixes.... found another way to do it and forgot to take it out. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom