1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best book or PHP tutorials for a crash course?

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by Razasharp, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Razasharp

Razasharp Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good book that gets you quickly up to speed on PHP please? Particularly with XF in mind?

I know how to program (and know OOP, MVC etc) so just need to learn the PHP syntax and way of doing things. Ideally I just want a quick crash course of refresher - enough to get me into XF development.

2. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

I'd just Google "PHP Tutorial" and then dive in to reading the code. If you already know MVC and OOP, PHP is quite a simple language. If you don't yet have Eclipse PDT, I'd recommend it. I use the Zend version. Instructions are in the Dev subforum of this site.

Razasharp likes this.
  3. Razasharp

Thanks FFT I found some vid tutorials and hope to go through them soon.

It's a shame there aren't many "PHP For ____ Developers" type books, there are loads the other way round, for those going from PHP to Ruby, Python etc

4. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

Indeed. The free documentation at PHP.net might be just good enough that it discouraged people from writing such a book.

Razasharp likes this.
  5. Razasharp

Ideally for me there would be a Ruby to PHP cheat sheet - that has the Ruby versions on one side and the PHP on the other - that would make it a lot easier for me to get a good overview of PHP. I might post something on Stack Overflow and see if anyone is willing to do a quick one :)