Before and After

MattW

Had a health screen at work today (have them every year now), and still have my results from 2007.

health_screen.webp

All that changed from 2007 to now is that I run. Put a before and after to show the difference! (before is one of my wedding photos)
before-after.webp

@Brogan will probably find the results interesting from the health screen.

Massive improvement there Matt and testament to what a bit of exercise can do.

Well done chap!

97.5cm though! What a bloater! :D

Massive improvement there Matt and testament to what a bit of exercise can do.

Well done chap!

97.5cm though! What a bloater! :D
Cheers Paul ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well done Matt, that's quite a transformation, well done
What made you decide to change? Was it anything in particular?
And where'd you get the will power from? lol

Well done Matt, that's quite a transformation, well done
What made you decide to change? Was it anything in particular?
And where'd you get the will power from? lol
I was 26, and could feel my heart pounding in my chest when walking up the stairs at home. There were a few people at work who ran during their lunch hour, so I started to go out with them. That's where it all started really, and I just stuck with it.

The willpower comes from the fact I can eat this (wife made it today):
1451429_10152097059658689_34321284_n.webp

and not have to really worry about it ;)

I only really struggle when I'm working nights (this week). Only manage to get about 4 hours sleep during the day, and then trying to go out for a run when it's dark / cold / raining in my lunch break is the only part where I have to really motivate myself. Going out in about 10 minutes for a steady 10KM.

I've also found having a target helps. I'm doing a few more half marathons next year. Currently training for Silverstone in March, and aiming to get under 1hour 30minutes

Congrats @MattW
I had my physical checkup last months after years of not doing it and the results are in. Everything is in well within range.
It helps that I started going to the gym several days a week.
Hopefully I can get to do the NYC marathon in a few years.

How long did you do that before you felt like you could increase it? I'm thinking of starting all of this again...
Was a few months before I felt confident enough to start to run longer. My goal was originally to be able to run 6KM, which there was a specific route I wanted to be able to run. Once I'd then managed to complete that route (took me 1 hour originally to be able to do it), I entered my first 10KM race a few months later.
I then started doing a regular 5KM route around work in my lunch break, and that's where it all took off from really.

I live in the perfect area for a nice loop around town through a park (about 10 blocks through the south portion of town until you get to the entrance and the entrance is 3 blocks the other way from my street).

Now if only I could find the time. Or will power.

This is my 6.2KM loop at home which I do, that had some nice views enroute

upload_2013-11-27_3-45-56.webp

There is also a country park where I do the 5KM Park Run race on a Saturday when I get chance.

This is my favourite half marathon route:
upload_2013-11-27_3-47-51.webp

I'm sure @Brogan will recognise the route ;)

Top Bottom