1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been hit by spam - how to delete 500 users awaiting account approval?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Cujo, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Cujo

Cujo Member

I currently have 527 members awaiting account approval (I have my board setup so new accounts have to be approved manually, fortunately!). These registrations happened in the last few days. It takes a long time to load the page that lists all of these users awaiting approval, and when I try to delete their accounts from that page, I get a security error, so I can not delete anything from that page.

What are my alternatives?
  2. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a server thing. If you are running suhosin (hardened PHP) then the form might be exceeding limits and getting truncated. That's just a guess. You can contact your host about that.

Here is all spam info:

This might be an alternative for you:

4. Cujo

Cujo Member

Will this also delete the accounts? I want them gone if possible...
  5. Jake Bunce

It bans accounts. It doesn't delete the accounts.
  6. Cujo

Cujo Member

After I ban the accounts, is there a way to mass delete them? Let's say all IP's get banned, can I then delete the accounts somehow but keep the IP's banned?
  7. Jake Bunce

There is no mass prune feature for user accounts. You can delete them one-by-one in the Admin CP.

I do not recommend deleting spammers. Just ban them.
  8. Aarmin

Aarmin Active Member

Just wondering, is this because you want to keep the registered email address in the banned list?
  9. Taxi

Taxi Member

Personally, I don't want them in my database, or my user list. So they get deleted.
  10. Jake Bunce

Banned users are hidden on the forum. They are not shown in the member list.

It's because they will just re-register under the same name. Different bots behave differently though.
  11. Taxi

Taxi Member

They're not shown in the member list to the end users, but they clog up the user lists in the admin control panel.

On my forum, it's all about me. :D
  12. Cujo

Cujo Member

So I ran the query and 1000 spam accounts were banned. However, these accounts are still awaiting approval, and when I open the approval page that tries to list a 1000 accounts, the page crashes (after a while of 100% CPU activity). Will these accounts be removed from the approval page after the site runs its automated cron jobs, or is by board basically f'ed right now?
    Jake Bunce likes this.
  13. Jake Bunce

Thanks for the report. I just updated this post with an additional query to remove those users from the moderation queue:

Cujo likes this.
  14. Cujo

Cujo Member

Thanks Jake, although it's not perfect, at least now my moderation queue works again.
  15. Amphicar770

Amphicar770 Active Member

Jake Bunce likes this.