Not a bug Bb code issue

Slayeon

Affected version
Xenforo 2.2
When adding features such as bold/italics for a large thread only half the bbcodes stay. Itll work fine in editing but when im done it doesnt stay. C3BEED2A-52DB-43C1-9BE3-F3BCE231EDA2.webp35014B3C-E22A-415D-A7DA-067D5D27C2DD.webp

You have an
[IMG] tag that isn't closed out, or it is closed after the [B][I] tags, I was able to reproduce this on my dev site.

There is something weird going on with BBcode.. Happening in this post.

Resident Evil written in italics is adding in an extra line break that isn't there. If I remove it from that, a line break is inserted after the first mention of Umbrella Online in bold (and linked). If I change the size of either text, the line break doesn't get inserted.

It also changes depending on window size.

I also got word from one of my members that -- intermittently -- when he types in the "@" name of a member in a post or reply, a line break is being added directly after the inserted member name, and then the post that he input continues on the next line.

It also appeared in a situation where italics/bold was used, per below.

Here is what is happening:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 2.29.08 PM.jpg

And here is another example of it happening:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 2.27.23 PM.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited:
The open [IMG] tag would definitely do something like this as BB code is not parsed within an image tag (and all tags are implicitly closed at the end of a post). That looks like the cause, so this isn't unexpected.

If you have a separate issue, you should report it in a separate thread, though the examples here are likely a Chrome/browser issue than anything XF related.

@gerryvz, @Mike, From my research, the Chrome issue is caused by a change in Chrome 87 that doesn't play well with a change in XF 2.2.1 (the CSS for the HTML-tag now includes "hyphens: none"). Since Chrome 87, "hyphens: none" randomly causes line-breaks after inline or inline-block elements that are in the same line as a later word that is actually supposed to break to the next line. It is not limited to the editor only. The effect is most common on mobile but can be triggered in desktop by slowly adjusting the browser width and watching lines with inline/-block elements.

The temporary workaround for me was to edit the template "core.less" and remove the line ".m-hyphens(none);"

Last edited:
Top Bottom