1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batch management of users waiting approval

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by The Sandman, Jul 27, 2013.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

I've beem waiting until upgrading to XF 1.2 so I could batch manage (ban) the almost 3000 members (spammers) in the "awaiting approval" queue.

I run through the batch management options and by filtering for the user state "awaiting moderation" I can select out the entire group I want to work with. However, the option to ban seemingly only puts these members into the banned usergroup - it doesn't change their user state which seems to remain "awaiting approval" (and still showing in the upper left "moderation corner" of the board). Shouldn't there be a way to put them into either a "banned" user state or the "valid" user state?

Or am I missing something?

2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Does the "Ban users (permanently)" option not work?

EDIT: Misread the second sentence in the second paragraph.

3. The Sandman

Well, as far as I can tell it bans them by placing them in the banned usergroup (however you set up your bans). But it doesn't seem to change their user state, so they continue to show up as "awaiting approval".

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The state does change.

A user can be awaiting approval and banned simultaneously.

5. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

That would still leave them in the queue waiting approval though. Would it not just be easier to delete their accounts?

6. The Sandman

Yeah, but I want them to stop showing up in red in the upper left "moderation corner". Doesn't their presence there seem to indicate that they need to be addressed in some way? I think there needs to be some additional controls in the batch management tool which will allow us to change the user's state during the process to either "banned" (which doesn't seem to exist) or "valid".

Is the only way to remove those users from the awaiting approval queue to batch delete them then? I thought that was less desirable than banning them.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Shelley likes this.
  8. The Sandman

I don't think I'm confused - perhaps my terminology was off but clearly you know what I meant, and came to the same conclusion that I did - that additional batch management control is needed over the user state during processing.

9. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Just delete them instead.

10. The Sandman

That was my first inclination, but then again wouldn't it be better to keep those usernames and emails blocked from registering again?

BamaStangGuy likes this.
  11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

When did most of them sign up? Was it around the time of the XRumer update a few months back where a lot of sites got hit with spam members?

I'd personally delete them all, and install @tenants TAC add-on as they'll not get back in with that in place.

Lisa likes this.
  12. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I'd go with what @MattW says. It was back when the XRumer attacks happened. They're in unconfirmed so never got as far as finishing the registration. Delete them :)

MattW likes this.
  13. The Sandman

OK then, I will delete them *but* I still think there should be some built in funcionality to change the user state during batch processing.

Forsaken likes this.