XF 2.2 Banning an IP that starts with 2a02:c7f:849:c000:.....

JoyFreak

How can I ban an IP that starts with "2a02:c7f:849:c000:...." Those values are always the same but the rest of it keeps changing. There's someone from here who I've banned twice now for stealing from my forums and they continue to come on to steal some more. I know what he's trying to steal next and I'm trying to stop that from happening.

Last edited:
See the notes on the banned IP address page in the ACP.

You may enter a partial IP address (v4 or v6 format).
Partial IPv4 addresses can be entered in the form of 192.168.* or 192.168.1.1/16.
Partial IPv6 addresses may be entered in the form of 2001:db8::/32.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand that. So like this "2a02:c7f:849:c000::/32" or this "2a02:c7f::/32"?

Just want to make sure I'm banning the right IP.

Last edited:
It's known as CIDR notation.

There's more nuance to it, but in this scenario, with an IPv6 address, each grouping you specify between : would represent 16 (bits). So a:b:c:d::/64 should work in this case. (Replacing the abcd part as appropriate.) If you did /32, you'd be blocking more IPs.

In terms of how IPs tend to be allocated in IPv6, each customer usually gets a /64 so blocking that is likely to be roughly equivalent to blocking a single IPv4 IP. A lower number after the slash would block a larger range of IPs.

(For comparison, in an IPv4 address 1.2.3.4, each number would represent 8 bits of an address.)

How can I ban an IP that starts with "2a02:c7f:849:c000:...." Those values are always the same but the rest of it keeps changing. There's someone from here who I've banned twice now for stealing from my forums and they continue to come on to steal some more. I know what he's trying to steal next and I'm trying to stop that from happening.
I hope this helps you ;)

Thanks guys. I've used 2a02:c7f:849:c000::/64 to block the IP. He will no doubt use other ways to access my site, it's nearly impossible to stop something like this from happening. Like for example, him paying someone to copy our upgrade page. But I hope this thread reaches him well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom