1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 banned user profiles generating error 403 and google problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by dethfire, Feb 15, 2015.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

As the title suggests google is unhappy that banned user profiles generate 403 errors and say
    "This user's profile is not available."

I had /members/ blocked via robots but pages were still getting indexed. I unblocked and added noindex tags instead and started getting these errors from google.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That page (viewing a banned user's profile) is a HTTP 200 response. I have confirmed this on my test forum.

Note that a "no permission" page returns HTTP 403. A "no permission" page will result if the viewing user doesn't have the View or View user profiles permissions. In the case of a search engine you are dealing with the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group's permissions. This is a restriction on the viewing user, not the profile being viewed.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It should actually be returning a 403 and it does in my test.

Google is simply telling you that it's generating a 403 in case you're not aware and it's a mistake. A page that it doesn't have permission to view is the correct use of a 403. In the case of banned users, this is correct and expected.
  4. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

ok I guess I'll just live with the 403 errors from google until they can register the noindexes and then I can block via robots again, thanks!