Design issue Ban via warning does not allow custom reason for ban

Mr Lucky

Something seems very wrong here, forgive me please if I've missed something.

If a mod bans somebody via a warning that takes their points to or above a ban threshold, the banned member does not see the PC sent by the warning system (because they are banned by the time the PC arrives) so the mod cannot communicate to the user the reason for the ban.

The user will try to login of course and find out they are banned, but they will only see the generic reason Rules Violation (or however you translated the phrase).

I think it's wrong that a PC sent by a mod explaining the reason for a warning triggered ban cannot be seen by the banned user.

The title seems somewhat different from the content.

The title--not allowing additional customization of the ban reason--is most definitely a suggestion, though you can control it through the warning_ban_reason phrase. I know you've seen that suggestion.

The content mostly reflects the inability to see a conversation after being banned and the situation surrounding whether the notification will be sent. On the whole, this effectively has to be a design issue. As a ban blocks all access, an internal notification (beyond the ban reason) isn't going to be accessible. We intentionally don't send notifications to banned users of things like conversations and I think this is the correct behavior (not to mention they may not get a notification anyway). I don't really see a great approach to deal with this as it stands.

The title--not allowing additional customization of the ban reason--is most definitely a suggestion, though you can control it through the warning_ban_reason phrase. I know you've seen that suggestion.

I'm aware that I can change the ban reason phrase (and have done) but what I meant was for mods to be able to customise it when they give a warning.

So the next part of my posts is related, I included it because it would be another way to solve the problem.

Currently a mod can send a PC with a warning, but if that warning causes a ban , then the banned user doesn't see it so that is two routes via which the mod is unable to communicate the ban reason.

• If they could send a PC and have it read, it wouldn't matter they can't customise the reason shown when the user tries to log in.
  • if they could customise that reason, then it wouldn't matter they can't send a PC that the banned user will see.

Top Bottom