Fixed Ban expiration date not displayed when triggered by Warning Action

DeltaHF

Best Weekly GIF Winner
The date that a user's ban will expire is not displayed on the error message shown to that user if they were banned as a result of receiving warning points and exceeding a ban threshold as set by a Warning Action.

To replicate this, create a Warning Action to ban a user after a point threshold and configure it to apply for the time period "while at or above points threshold". Issue a warning to a user which will exceed that threshold (and result in them getting banned), then sign into that account and view the error message. Neither the reason for their ban nor - more importantly - how long their ban will last is displayed on this page.

This is important, because most of the banned members in my community are banished as a result of accumulated and expiring warning points. If they don't know when these points expire, they try to contact moderation staff through other channels, and it creates more workload (and drama) for our moderators to deal with this additional communication with already disgruntled members.

The date that a user's ban will expire is not displayed on the error message shown to that user if they were banned as a result of receiving warning points and exceeding a ban threshold as set by a Warning Action.

To replicate this, create a Warning Action to ban a user after a point threshold and configure it to apply for the time period "while at or above points threshold". Issue a warning to a user which will exceed that threshold (and result in them getting banned), then sign into that account and view the error message. Neither the reason for their ban nor - more importantly - how long their ban will last is displayed on this page.

This is important, because most of the banned members in my community are banished as a result of accumulated and expiring warning points. If they don't know when these points expire, they try to contact moderation staff through other channels, and it creates more workload (and drama) for our moderators to deal with this additional communication with already disgruntled members.

I can confirm this on xF 1.4, was happening on 1.3 as well.

I was wondering why banned members have been trying so hard lately to reach staff via Email, Skype, what ever private information people can get their hands on to ask when their ban expired. We have a lot of people get enough points to get banned weekly where this has been getting asked a lot.

Didnt think to check this until I saw this thread @DeltaHF.

This is technically as designed...

A points ban is inserted as permanent, as it could last any length of time - points could be deducted or added during the ban, which would change it. The ban is removed via a cron entry.

See lines 304-339 of library/XenForo/Model/Warning.php

Liam

Strictly true that this is as designed, but it's probably more of a technical limit so I have tweaked this for the next 1.4 release.

The ban is permanent and will show as such in the control panel. The change here reflects for the end user. If you're still having problems, please submit a new bug report with specific steps to reproduce it (warning action configuration, warning points/expirations given, etc).

The ban is permanent and will show as such in the control panel. The change here reflects for the end user. If you're still having problems, please submit a new bug report with specific steps to reproduce it (warning action configuration, warning points/expirations given, etc).

OK thanks, I see the ban lift date shows when the user tries to log in. I have submitted a bug report though, regarding something related but different.

Top Bottom