Ban countries from registering [Deleted]

Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus submitted a new resource:

Ban countries from registering (version 1.0.0) - Prevent users in different countries from registering into your forum

This simple and straightforward hack should help in reducing the amount of spammers that you get on the forums

Simply put, if the spammer comes from a banned country (e.g. Russia, Polonia, Turkey, China), they won't be able to register into the site, and will get an error message instead saying that the forum is not available for their country.

By default, this add-on makes use of the really good geo_ip database (available here)

If you...

Read more about this resource...

Rigel, looks like a very handy add on.

I'm sure it will be a useful tool for admins to use.

Nice job. (y)

This method is in My experience the Best spam-fighting tool. So thank you for maling this avalible for xenForo

Thanks.
Turns out that a good amount of the spam that we get comes from overseas countries. This will filter them out a little more.

just curious does this affect users already registered on your forum if you have their country on the banned list?

Thanks for another useful add-on Rigel enjoy using your Bump thread add-on. Excellent work. (y)

Ouch... it just hurts to see Japan listed in the example screenshot. :(

I do appreciate the usefulness of this add-on. While I certainly agree there are some troubled countries when it comes to spam, I think some people go overboard in blocking some areas.

Great stuff! (y)

I remember "tenants" provides a similar Add-on.

Anyway, this feature should be available by default in XF-core (among other spam-protections).

Have no use for this but this add-on looks pretty useful in certain communities! Good work.

About 1.2

I have NOT tested 1.2 yet, but just by reading the update list, I am expecting things to break.
Please do not rush to update to 1.2 if this add-on is vital to you and you cannot afford to disable it.

I will be providing an update as soon as I can, but this is not the only add-on that I have. There is no ETA, but expect weeks, not days.

Please do not report bugs with 1.2 at this time, since that is not helpful, after I provide a version compatible with 1.2 I will be getting bug reports for anything that I missed.

Great add-on but I was thinking. Wouldn't it be better to require certain countries to go through a more rigorous sign up process rather than banning them completely.

So for example depending on the country you are registering from there will be more checks to complete (ie more verification)

Great add-on but I was thinking. Wouldn't it be better to require certain countries to go through a more rigorous sign up process rather than banning them completely.

So for example depending on the country you are registering from there will be more checks to complete (ie more verification)
Maybe
There are so many spam prevention measures already in place (StopForumSpam, Captcha) that I wonder if yet-one-more is needed.
This is mostly useful when you are absolutely sure no one from China should be registering, for example.

Top Bottom