1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ban countries from registering [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Add-on Releases' started by Rigel Kentaurus, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Rigel Kentaurus submitted a new resource:

Ban countries from registering (version 1.0.0) - Prevent users in different countries from registering into your forum

Read more about this resource...

alfan, Velli, erich37 and 1 other person like this.
  2. oman

oman Well-Known Member

Rigel, looks like a very handy add on.

I'm sure it will be a useful tool for admins to use.

Nice job. (y)

3. Rigel Kentaurus

Thanks.
    Turns out that a good amount of the spam that we get comes from overseas countries. This will filter them out a little more.

4. alfan

alfan Active Member

This method is in My experience the Best spam-fighting tool. So thank you for maling this avalible for xenForo

5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

just curious does this affect users already registered on your forum if you have their country on the banned list?

Thanks for another useful add-on Rigel enjoy using your Bump thread add-on. Excellent work. (y)

6. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Ouch... it just hurts to see Japan listed in the example screenshot. :(

I do appreciate the usefulness of this add-on. While I certainly agree there are some troubled countries when it comes to spam, I think some people go overboard in blocking some areas.

7. Rigel Kentaurus

The hook only runs on the Register script, it won't prevent existing users from using the forum

Einheri and Shelley like this.
  8. CFodder

CFodder Well-Known Member

Very nice addon indeed :).

Is it possible to customise/edit the error message?

9. invite

invite Member

You could do a paid Addon with this Feature. I would buy it for sure...or an Addon who Blocks this annoying Proxy/VPN Users.

10. Rigel Kentaurus

It's a phrase, so, yes. Change xfa_disallowed_country to whatever you need it to be. The default is "We are sorry. Registration is disabled for your country"

Einheri and CFodder like this.
  11. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Great stuff! (y)

I remember "tenants" provides a similar Add-on.

Anyway, this feature should be available by default in XF-core (among other spam-protections).

alfan likes this.
  12. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

How about user's using proxy, vpn?

13. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Have no use for this but this add-on looks pretty useful in certain communities! Good work.

14. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

Mouth, RoldanLT and Shelley like this.
  15. Velli

Velli Active Member

¬°Good job! As always ;)

16. time

time Active Member

I block IN, but it blocking the VN :(

17. Rigel Kentaurus

About 1.2

I have NOT tested 1.2 yet, but just by reading the update list, I am expecting things to break.
    Please do not rush to update to 1.2 if this add-on is vital to you and you cannot afford to disable it.

I will be providing an update as soon as I can, but this is not the only add-on that I have. There is no ETA, but expect weeks, not days.

Please do not report bugs with 1.2 at this time, since that is not helpful, after I provide a version compatible with 1.2 I will be getting bug reports for anything that I missed.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Well-Known Member

Great add-on but I was thinking. Wouldn't it be better to require certain countries to go through a more rigorous sign up process rather than banning them completely.

So for example depending on the country you are registering from there will be more checks to complete (ie more verification)

19. Rigel Kentaurus

Maybe
    There are so many spam prevention measures already in place (StopForumSpam, Captcha) that I wonder if yet-one-more is needed.
    This is mostly useful when you are absolutely sure no one from China should be registering, for example.

20. Spawne32

Spawne32 Active Member

has this been updated for 1.2 yet?