Backup xenforo, what are the options

Robby

I am looking for a new way to backup my forum. For the miment i have offsite backups but its kinda pricy. How do you backup your xenforo site? Are their any reliable plugins for that. Paying now 10 pounds every month but i am looking for a cheaper way.

I use Backupsy (referral link), it's just a VPS you can use with rsnapshop, etc.

For 250GB storage, it's $6/month (£3.50) – I normally pay for the full year at $72 (£43).

In order to get the above prices, you need to use 40PERCENT discount code.

I use Backupsy (referral link), it's just a VPS you can use with rsnapshop, etc.

For 250GB storage, it's $6/month (£3.50) – I normally pay for the full year at $72 (£43).

In order to get the above prices, you need to use 40PERCENT discount code.
I would like to use them but i dont know how to set it up. My vps is with nimbus.

I use my Synology @home to transfer the backups to. Mysqlhotcopy the db's and rsync the stuff :)

I use my Synology @home to transfer the backups to. Mysqlhotcopy the db's and rsync the stuff :)

Me too, I use Xtrabackup to make a dump and rsync the DB to my QNAP at home once every week (it's a 50GB file...)

Oh, and obvious but still...restore the backup frequently to see if it still works ;)

Me too, I use Xtrabackup to make a dump and rsync the DB to my QNAP at home once every week (it's a 50GB file...)

Oh, and obvious but still...restore the backup frequently to see if it still works ;)
How do you guys set it up? I have a Diskstation at home which I like to set up to sync the backup of my sites.

How do you guys set it up? I have a Diskstation at home which I like to set up to sync the backup of my sites.
It's going to depend if you can either launch an rsync client on the NAS, or if it allows SSH connection to it (and also have rsync installed).

I have an iomega NAS which allows you to start rsync, and also enable SSH connections, so I have a bash script where I rsync my daily backup to the NAS at home.

It's going to depend if you can either launch an rsync client on the NAS, or if it allows SSH connection to it (and also have rsync installed).

I have an iomega NAS which allows you to start rsync, and also enable SSH connections, so I have a bash script where I rsync my daily backup to the NAS at home.
I would assume that all options are available to me, which is the preferred method for fastest time and reliability?
Setup a script on the web server to automatically backup daily?
Allow the NAS to SSH to the webserver and rsync?

I haven't found much tutorial online on how to do this easily.

The problem with using rsync is if something should go wrong with one of your files, such as it gets overwritten or changed for some reason, then your backup becomes worthless because rsync will back it up as a changed file. The backup would now contain a bad version of a file. If you don't catch it and you rotate backup disks, eventually all backups are bad.

A much better way is to dump the database and add it to a gzip that is numerically (or date) incremented of the entire site every time it's backed up. Transfer time is longer, but is much more reliable and you can track back as far as you need to restore a good version of the site. I do this for many clients on anywhere from a daily to a monthly basis depending on what they want.

Last edited:
The problem with using rsync is if something should go wrong with one of your files, such as it gets overwritten or changed for some reason, then your backup becomes worthless because rsync will back it up as a changed file. The backup would now contain a bad version of a file. If you don't catch it and you rotate backup disks, eventually all backups are bad.

A much better way is to dump the database and add it to a gzip that is numerically (or date) incremented of the entire site every time it's backed up. Transfer time is longer, but is much more reliable and you can track back as far as you need to restore a good version of the site. I do this for many clients on anywhere from a daily to a monthly basis depending on what they want.
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Top Bottom