AVForums and Digital Point moving to XenForo

AVForums and Digital Point running XenForo in 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

blackfriday

Yes, as you know, both AVForums and Digital Point are moving to XenForo. It has been confirmed by Stuart and Shawn respectively. Those are big ones and very active communities.

AVForums
Threads: 1,379,783
Members: 269,129

Digital Point
Threads: 2,155,527
Members: 507,667

I believe that they are going to wait for the Kier's big-board search solution and some custom addons being ported to XenForo. So the question is: do you think that this is going to happen before the end of 2012?

Comments?

The way that 1.1 has been marketed as is just major release of the software, as in a massive list of new features. I have not heard talk about Big-Board Search function being added or included into xenForo 1.1. With IGN being onboard the xen ship, I think it's even more motivation to include Big-Board Search. But because Big Board Search is a huge project by itself, I have a feeling that it's going to be delayed until next year.

The search solution is going well the last time I asked. My understanding from Kier and Mike was that the big board solution was something they'd like to release as soon as possible, but given how IB has been throwing punches left and right, no doubt they've been trying to get it out; but are having some setbacks given how many hours there are in a day :p

Yes, as you know, both AVForums and Digital Point are moving to XenForo. It has been confirmed by Stuart and Shawn respectively. Those are big ones and very active communities.

AVForums
Threads: 1,379,783
Members: 269,129

Digital Point
Threads: 2,155,527
Members: 507,667

I believe that they are going to wait for the Kier's big-board search solution and some custom addons being ported to XenForo. So the question is: do you think that this is going to happen before the end of 2012?

Comments?

Not really fair to give them a timeline, even if they do confirm it. Besides, no one really cares (that much) until it is actually done.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, I heard that they'd like to release it soon as possible, but it doesn't look likely at this point.
How so? XF 1.1 is almost labeled as stable, which means that their focus would shift to the search add-on and the Resource Manager. "Soon as possible" sounds about right still.

Have you ever looked around digitalpoint.com, and seen what an absurd amount of stuff we have built over the years? A tool to track historical search engine position changes (which over 100,000 registered users use), a tool to track your stolen computer, MASSIVE marketplace (10,000+ domains/sites *currently* for sale), an entire ad space bidding platform, etc, etc...

I'm not exaggerating when I say we have more than a million lines of code to rewrite for XenForo in order to keep existing custom stuff working.

That being said, it will be ready when it's ready... not before.

Sadly, they don't code themselves... but definitely working on it.

Image%202011.11.17%202:17:38%20PM.png

A million lines of code you have to rewrite to switch from vB to xF. :eek:

I don't even know how you can expect to have XenForo up and running within 12 months from now, I mean a "million" lines is humongous.

Just want to throw in something, we are moving our board to xenForo too. Some stats:
Most users ever online was 25,780, dd-mm-2011 at 18:10.
Threads: 769,707, Posts: 13,020,952, Members: 388,609
We are working on rewriting and reimplementing features to xenForo to suit our needs, xF removes a lot of un-used stuff and add tons of nice features; unfortunately there are some missing pieces, like Big Board Search that isn't going to use Sphinx so we are working on an add-on that search our board using Sphinx.

Also, there is one thing that I love about xF is that the template system is extremely customizable, our xenForo board looking nothing like xenForo at all, we are developing a whole new front-end to match our other part of the networks.

Funny thing is, I only know about xenForo a few days ago when I did some research about forums software to see if we really need to build our own, that would be hell of a project.

And few days is enough for some "proof of concept" to be made and decided upon. xenForo is great to work with.

What a weird poll. So 'Big-Board Search' is a version of Sphinx search engine?

Congrats for moving over. Xenforo is doing a lot of things right.

Have you ever looked around digitalpoint.com, and seen what an absurd amount of stuff we have built over the years? A tool to track historical search engine position changes (which over 100,000 registered users use), a tool to track your stolen computer, MASSIVE marketplace (10,000+ domains/sites *currently* for sale), an entire ad space bidding platform, etc, etc...

I'm not exaggerating when I say we have more than a million lines of code to rewrite for XenForo in order to keep existing custom stuff working.

Tease :p

may i ask (hope that's right on english:D ) what virtual forums is?

Top Bottom