Lack of interest Avatar upload size error message is confusing

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Karelke

Say we have the following error:

Screenshot from 2014-08-22 15:36:57.webp

The message "Please upload an avatar no bigger than 40 KB." is misleading, because you can actually upload (let's say) 50 KB, the server will process it to something smaller than 40 KB. However, the message indicates that you can't upload an avatar no bigger than 40 KB, which is not true.

I can fully understand the technical background for this message - it refers to the post-processed image - but users might see it as an upload limit.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I can't see any other option than this TBH. The size of the final upload will vary depending on the image being uploaded. You can't really say, "Please upload an avatar that, once uploaded, will be no bigger than 40KB" as there is no way that the user could possibly work this out. So it's better to leave it as it is.

You can't really say, "Please upload an avatar that, once uploaded, will be no bigger than 40KB"

That's true, however that's doesn't excuse the message from being confusing. There are two alternative solutions:

1) Remove the message
2) Introduce a real upload limit (i.e. check the file size before processing the image)

Top Bottom