Fixed  Avatar Transparency

People should just learn not to use transparent avatars at all, maybe what we really need is an option to block them, just like animated gifs.

What's wrong with transparante avatars? :confused:
What is wrong with transparent Avatars?
There's no need for it. Transparency is used for web design purposes, an avatar is just a simple image. If you really want to show the background color of the forum for some reason, you can just give the avatar that background color. But like Kier said, there will always be a border around it in XF, so it wouldn't look good anyway.

There's no need for it. Transparency is used for web design purposes, an avatar is just a simple image.
This is the weirdest argument I've ever read. An avatar is "just a simple image?" Huh? Transparency is for images, there's no reason it can't or shouldn't be used in avatars. :confused:
If you really want to show the background color of the forum for some reason, you can just give the avatar that background color.
What if users are using different themes, or the theme of the board changes? It seems like you're stuck in 1999. Transparency is and should be used all the time, especially now that all major browsers support full alpha transparency with 24-bit PNG's. :)

An example:

The forum that I'm an administrator of is a Pokémon forum and uses avatar galleries by default (uploading is reserved to certain usergroups) featuring the different Pokémon on a transparent background, like Quillz's is. Considering the sheer number of Pokémon and, therefore, the number of avatars in the galleries, I wouldn't want to edit every single one of them (over 500 when considering differing sprites of the same Pokémon) so they look nice in XF...I'd prefer something that allows transparent avatars to look nice and to actually be transparent. *inserts two cents*

P.S. Quillz, I'd recommend uploading Sandslash as a .png if you can instead of the .jpg so it isn't as pixelated (unless uploading converts it anyway; I don't remember).

This is the weirdest argument I've ever read. An avatar is "just a simple image?" Huh? Transparency is for images, there's no reason it can't or shouldn't be used in avatars. :confused:
Transparency, believe it or not, is used for making images blend into backgrounds in web design. Images like corners, buttons, etc. With .png, you can have a blue button that looks good on white and black background, something that was not possible with .gif for example. On the other hand, an avatar is a representation of a user, it is not something that needs to blend in because it's part of the layout of the website. That wasn't the purpose of an avatar, even though some people misuse it that way.

What if users are using different themes, or the theme of the board changes? It seems like you're stuck in 1999. Transparency is and should be used all the time, especially now that all major browsers support full alpha transparency with 24-bit PNG's. :)
It seems that I see avatars and .png transparency the way they were intended. BTW, nothing 'should be used all the time'. You should use things when they are really necessary. Using a big file for an avatar, which 24-bit png is, is completely unnecessary and creates more disadvantages than advantages.

And again: even if we would follow your argument that some users may not want a square looking avatar, it will still have the border in XF and so it will still look square, so it is completely useless to do so.

My new avatar is an example of why transparency is good and why I think it should be implemented followed by the reason transparency shouldn't affect anyone doing the diligent.

I wanted to have the letters floating in the box.... with this image....
EQ_TAG%7Bsimple%7D1.2.png

I wanted to utilize transparency and couldn't, the result was changing my avatar to what it is right now
EQ_TAG%7Bsimple%7D1.2.2.png

All one must do to make transparency not an issue for them is to use a solid backround-ed image or open up a phot editor and matte the image in question over a solid color and merge the layers or save as a .png or what ever you want....

Edit/Update: I liked both dutchbb's and eriksrocks's posts because they both make valid points and this is communication at it's finest. Thank you both beyond the click. No need for another post to say this though

Transparency, believe it or not, is used for making images blend into backgrounds in web design. Images like corners, buttons, etc. With .png, you can have a blue button that looks good on white and black background, something that was not possible with .gif for example. On the other hand, an avatar is a representation of a user, it is not something that needs to blend in because it's part of the layout of the website. That wasn't the purpose of an avatar, even though some people misuse it that way. It seems that I see avatars and .png transparency the way they were intended.
Yes, of course. But that doesn't mean it should be used only in web design. Transparency is an inherent property of images and can be used in any image, anywhere, for any purpose. I know that avatars are a representation of a user. Why can't this representation have transparency? Trombones and EQNoble provide good examples of where transparency can be used in avatars.

This is a bad analogy, but what you're saying is something like, "Oxygen is for the planet Earth." Er, no... Oxygen is an element and it can be used anywhere in the universe.

BTW, nothing 'should be used all the time'. You should use things when they are really necessary. Using a big file for an avatar, which 24-bit png is, is completely unnecessary and creates more disadvantages than advantages.
I should have been clearer. I meant that transparency should be used wherever it is applicable (if the item in question has no background - like the Firefox logo, for instance. Unless you place it on a background for stylistic purposes the logo has no background and when placed in an image all the pixels that aren't in the logo should be transparent), including avatars. There's no point in slapping on a flat background when really the background should be transparent.

As far as file-sizes, in most cases small PNG24 images (like avatars) are very similar in size, if not smaller, than similar JPEG's, especially when the content is non-photo (logos, drawings, etc.). While GD has a ways to go in producing properly optimized PNG images, this doesn't mean that the format as a whole is large or unoptimized. Your statement that "[Using a 24-bit png] is completely unnecessary and creates more disadvantages than advantages" is false. :)

And again: even if we would follow your argument that some users may not want a square looking avatar, it will still have the border in XF and so it will still look square, so it is completely useless to do so.
While I agree that it doesn't look the best, it's not "completely useless." I would rather have the pixels inside the border be transparent than a solid color, which would look butt-ugly if you went from a light to a dark theme, for example. :) Besides, this is more about transparency support across the board when XF is handling images, not just avatars. This issue could pop-up in the future with galleries, attachments, etc. :)

There's no need for it. Transparency is used for web design purposes, an avatar is just a simple image. If you really want to show the background color of the forum for some reason, you can just give the avatar that background color. But like Kier said, there will always be a border around it in XF, so it wouldn't look good anyway.
Simple image or not, there's nothing wrong with transparency.

I mean, who needs message boards when a simple mailing list works just as well?

It will now use a white background instead of black, which would also mimic how the image would appear when viewed as an attachment on its own. Thus, I'm tagging this issue as fixed (since I don't see another viable option).

Using a GD bundled with PHP (2.0.34 compatible), with the attached image, resized to the large avatar size (192px wide):

JPEG, quality 75: ~11k
PNG, "quality" 0 (this is actually compression, 0 is none): ~220k!
PNG, "quality" 9, PNG_FILTER_NONE: ~154k
PNG, "quality" 9, PNG_ALL_FILTERS: ~105k
GIF (not really going to look great): ~31k

I'm sure these numbers wouldn't be as drastic with non-photo content, but on balance it likely isn't worth it. For the medium sized avatar (the one used on posts), the difference can be between 4k and 21k.

I really like PNG and would much prefer to use it. ImageMagick probably handles it better and I would re-investigate when that's an option.

Is it possible to make the background color of jpeg images as a style option ? It will allow avatars fitting better on customized styles.

Anyone knows the status of this? I upload a transparent png as thumb on my site and it add a black background

Doesn't it go off of this:

avava.webp

All avatar backgrounds are defined.... How are you going to show transparent? Is your background-color set as dark?

Top Bottom