Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration [Deleted]

@Chris D,

Does this addon work for 1.3 and are you taking requests for some extra functionality for money? Though no rush, until we finish discussing the other project.

But I still have my eyes set on this. (One of the best addons we have ever purchased)

It has formed the backbone of our community. For all of the adventures and roleplays and stuff that happen on our site, recruitment needs to happen some where, before we couldn't get any type of recruit area going, however with this addon, people have been using it in the droves since that means people will see their thread.

Hopefully @Chris Deeming could investigate into that one reported bug, so I could go ahead and install this Addon again..... as this Addon really helps a lot to spur Forum-activity and make a tiny Forum grow.

I am just wondering what this bug is all about and whether this bug can be fixed ?

Thanks!

For something like this, it's probably important to stop alerting people if they stop visiting for 3-6 months. Might be worth including something to remove them (or disable the alerting behavior) in this add-on.
Would be an important next step IMHO

What happens if the member does not have permissions for the node being tagged as I would like to use this for my staff areas.

The alert system does all the work in making sure that the person being alerted has permission to view content in the thread/forum they're being alerted for.

What I would really like to have is the option to be able to have one node tagged on threads and another node on posts. I see that the way it is now you can only have them tagged as one or the other. Otherwise it is a nice add on, thanks

The behaviour is completely expected with XenForo unfortunately. If all your members were to subscribe to the forum manually the same thing would happen.

You can unsubscribe them probably by a database query.

What is the error you get when you try to post a thread?

It may just require some server limits to be increased.

I didn't see your reply up until now :P

It does not give out any error. What happens is when I click the "Post Thread" button the ajax indicator comes up and that's it, I click it numerous times and the same thing happens and the thread is not posted.

Is it possible for you to provide me with a DB query to un-watch all users?

Hey Chris D,

Do you planning to make it for RM. I want to force users automatically watch some RM categories at new registration.

Last edited:
The description and title says that this auto watch get executed in the registration. Is it possible to execute it for all registered users too?

Yes there is a rebuilder for existing users in the Cache Rebuilds in the ACP.

Please note, however, this is known to have experienced performance issues when alerts are generated in the target forum.

Imagine thousands of people all receiving alerts and emails simultaneously. This is more of a XF design issue though.

Yes there is a rebuilder for existing users in the Cache Rebuilds in the ACP.

Please note, however, this is known to have experienced performance issues when alerts are generated in the target forum.

Imagine thousands of people all receiving alerts and emails simultaneously. This is more of a XF design issue though.
Do you mean during the Cache Rebuild or with new threads/posts in the auto watch rule?

If all your members are subscribed (as a result of a rebuild) subsequent new posts or threads could cause either the new post/thread process to take a very long time or even timeout.

With small boards it has very little impact.

But as users get up to the thousands or more it can become a problem (due to the way XF is designed).

If all your members are subscribed (as a result of a rebuild) subsequent new posts or threads could cause either the new post/thread process to take a very long time or even timeout.

With small boards it has very little impact.

But as users get up to the thousands or more it can become a problem (due to the way XF is designed).
Okay. Could you add a option to define for which user group it is enabled? Then I could enable it for the group active and filter the users to active and inactive. :)

As this addon doesn't work on my forum. I ended up using this one and send the alerts to all users manually after I make a post in an announcement thread. It sends an alert to all users immediately with no performance issues or problems

The alert system does all the work in making sure that the person being alerted has permission to view content in the thread/forum they're being alerted for.

So if a forum has 10 nodes, 5 of which are public, 3 of which are for one specific usergroup and 2 which are for admins/mods and I subscribe all new users to all 10, then normal registered users should only receive email notifications to the 5 public forums, right?

If that registered user then gains access to the elevated usergroup level with access to the next 3 nodes, will they automatically start receiving emails when they're granted the new permissions? And then stop if they're then revoked?

Top Bottom