Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration

Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration [Paid] 1.0.2

No permission to buy (£5.00)

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration - Force users to automatically watch a forum/forums and/or watch a thread/threads upon registering

Note: This add-on is only compatible with XenForo 1.2.x. I will not be making this compatible in any form with XenForo 1.1.x.

Description

This add-on gives you the following new options in Admin CP > Options > User Registration:

View attachment 50162

When a user registers, they will be automatically subscribed to the Forums and Threads selected with the options you specify.

They can, of course, unwatch...
Read more about this resource...

Shelley

Nice work Chris. Always enjoy these add-ons. (y)

If you ever think about creating a x amount of posts to down per forum & usergroup I'd happily purchase that. :)

surfsup

Chris.....this is AWESOME!!!

Perfect for automatically sending notifications for important announcements! Awesome man just awesome! I will be buying this soon ;)

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yeah maybe. That kind of thing doesn't really scale well to large boards unless I use the cache rebuilder to do it. But, the add-on was never designed to be anything more than for new registrations so it would be a custom job if you wanted it doing (but my schedule is tight now until August and beyond)

RobParker

Yeah maybe. That kind of thing doesn't really scale well to large boards unless I use the cache rebuilder to do it. But, the add-on was never designed to be anything more than for new registrations so it would be a custom job if you wanted it doing (but my schedule is tight now until August and beyond)
Fair enough. I didn't so much mean this for us, rather that it might help others and I thought it'd be straightforward.

What would happen with a simple SQL statement to select all users and set watched forum? Or would that be horrible performance-wise?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
That would be horrible performance wise :)

It would need the help of a PHP script as well to grab the users as well, loop through them, run a query for each one etc.

This is some example code based on a much earlier version of this add-on which I wrote for [bd] Forum Watch:

PHP:
        $userModel = XenForo_Model::create('XenForo_Model_User');
        $users = $userModel->getAllUsers();

$db = XenForo_Application::getDb();
        XenForo_Db::beginTransaction($db);

foreach ($users AS $user)
        {          
            $db->insert('xf_forum_watch', array(
                'user_id' => $user['user_id'],
                'forum_id' => 7)
            );
        }

XenForo_Db::commit($db);
So that won't work for this add-on, but the premise is still the same.

erich37

great feature (y)

would it be possible to do the same for the users own "User Profile Page" ?
So that user will be able to receive a "Notification by Email" when there is a new post at their own "Profile Page".....

:coffee:

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Nope. Watching forums and threads with email alerts functionality is default in XenForo. What you've suggested isn't. So that would be require custom development.

Mike Edge

What about a per usergroup option? Then I could force a watched forum based on services the client has using each service offered as it's own usergroup.