MG 1.1 Automatic resizing

gunnar

I would be interested in removing the upload limits on size for users, but rather have a automatic resizing when the image have been added is this possible?

Yes it is.

In either XFMG Image options or in the XFMG Image Media Quotas permissions (depending on whether you are using global quotas or user group based ones), set the Maximum Dimensions for images to something appropriate (e.g. 2000 x 2000). Also set the max file upload to unlimited. When a user uploads an image, the file size won't matter but it will be automatically resized to fit within the dimensions you specified, thus also reducing the uploaded file size at the same time.

Yes it is.

In either XFMG Image options or in the XFMG Image Media Quotas permissions (depending on whether you are using global quotas or user group based ones), set the Maximum Dimensions for images to something appropriate (e.g. 2000 x 2000). Also set the max file upload to unlimited. When a user uploads an image, the file size won't matter but it will be automatically resized to fit within the dimensions you specified, thus also reducing the uploaded file size at the same time.

Great, thank you!
So if I set the user group permissions to 0 I can go and set XFMG image options and it will work for all images?
I want to limit space allowance based on group belonging at the moment.

If I enable global quotas it will override the group settings?
I wouldn't mind if it was a global setting for most groups, with some extended allowances for admins and moderators..

Global settings apply to all users, whereas user group permissions apply to each user group. You need to choose which one you prefer to work with. Personally I prefer user group permissions because I can restrict for the Registered user group but allow for other groups.

It doesnt allow me this.. Should i set it to a large number instead? like 5MB?
I'm using 3000 px X 3000 px for maximum dimensions.
You've probably set something incorrectly. Give more details about your setup.

Global settings apply to all users, whereas user group permissions apply to each user group. You need to choose which one you prefer to work with. Personally I prefer user group permissions because I can restrict for the Registered user group but allow for other groups.

You've probably set something incorrectly. Give more details about your setup.

It seems you can only set unlimited file size in group permissions, so I will stay with your recommended way and use group permissions. Thanks for your help!!!

Global settings apply to all users, whereas user group permissions apply to each user group.
One more question, If I set the default group that everyone join to the settings above, I can leave following group updates at 0? And just give them more storage space if I wish?
Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 10.16.08.webp

Those settings should be fine. You could set unlimited as the file upload in user group permissions (you're correct, there is no unlimited setting in global settings). In reality you're likely to to be limited anyway to upload_max_filesize/post_max_size in PHP (you can check your settings for this in /admin.php?tools/phpinfo.php on your site) though you/your host can likely increase this for you if it is too low.

One more question, If I set the default group that everyone join to the settings above, I can leave following group updates at 0? And just give them more storage space if I wish?
View attachment 126036
The default group that everyone should have as their primary user group is the Registered group. If you are giving the same permissions to everyone, you're just as well using the Global options for XFMG though it doesn't matter if you are using the user group permissions. If you are going to vary some permissions (such as storage that you have mentioned) then user group permissions is the way to go.

Yes, you can leave the settings for all other user groups to 0 as the highest numerical value across all user groups that someone is a member of will apply. You only need to change values in other user groups where you want them to have something different.

Yes, you can leave the settings for all other user groups to 0 as the highest numerical value across all user groups that someone is a member of will apply. You only need to change values in other user groups where you want them to have something different.

Superb! Thanks a lot!

Hello
Some members seem to have problems uploading images as there are some albums left empty. I this the correct settings @Martok ?
I want all images they upload to be resized to 1800px on the long side.

Then on the next member group can I leave it like this?
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.29.35.webp

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.30.24.webp Many thanks for your help!

Hello
Some members seem to have problems uploading images as there are some albums left empty. I this the correct settings @Martok ?
I want all images they upload to be resized to 1800px on the long side.

Then on the next member group can I leave it like this?
View attachment 133066

View attachment 133065 Many thanks for your help!
For dimensions, those setting (1800px for both) are correct.

For other member group settings, you need to set those to 0 if they are also members of the other user group (which I'm assuming is the Registered user group which would be their primary user group). For numerical permissions it always takes the highest value from all user groups that a member is in as the final value). So with 1800 set in the first group and 0 in the other secondary user groups the final value is 1800 (whereas if you set unlimited in the other groups the final value is unlimited which is probably not what you want).

For dimensions, those setting (1800px for both) are correct.

For other member group settings, you need to set those to 0 if they are also members of the other user group (which I'm assuming is the Registered user group which would be their primary user group). For numerical permissions it always takes the highest value from all user groups that a member is in as the final value). So with 1800 set in the first group and 0 in the other secondary user groups the final value is 1800 (whereas if you set unlimited in the other groups the final value is unlimited which is probably not what you want).

Thank you, this leaves me wondering why some users have problems adding images... :/

Top Bottom