Autocomplete Location [Deleted]

Will this add-on let someone pick only a country or a state/province? Many of our users are not comfortable with giving a city where they live.

Also, is there a way to limit countries accessed? Or is that a function of the Geonames site? There are some countries we could exclude, to keep the autocomplete list from becoming too large for the users.

Last edited:
Will this add-on let someone pick only a country or a state/province? Many of our users are not comfortable with giving a city where they live.
Yes, currently cities, states and countries are available.

Also, is there a way to limit countries accessed? Or is that a function of the Geonames site? There are some countries we could exclude, to keep the autocomplete list from becoming too large for the users.
A whitelist is directly supported by Geonames. A blacklist-filter would need to be implemented in the add-on. However, you can specifiy the maximum number of entries that are shown on the AC list (the default is 7). So that should actually not be a big problem..

Last edited:
I love the look of this and have a question, is it possible to integrate this to also use a member search?
So I can search people by city/locale etc?
many thanks :)

is it possible to integrate this to also use a member search?
If you enable the „Save atomic location data in custom user fields“ option, the location data can be easily accessed in any template and by other add-ons. I'm going to release a „User Location Search“ add-on in the near future..

If you enable the „Save atomic location data in custom user fields“ option, the location data can be easily accessed in any template and by other add-ons. I'm going to release a „User Location Search“ add-on in the near future..
Oh now I am all ears.... ;) okay sounds good. I may look into this then. Do you have a rough estimate ETA for your user location search page/add-on?

I would like to know if support Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia?

Our site put more weights on search members and if your addon can help us we will be glad to make purchase.
Yeah, I've currently planned to release it in about 1 to 2 months.

Thomas.B updated Autocomplete Location with a new update entry:

Bugfixes

Besides a lot of refactored code this release contains also three bugfixes:
  • in „client mode“ for certain entered location strings such as „Denver“ no results were shown on the autocomplete list
  • if „server side check‘ was enabled, the location string that was selected during the registration was always saved with the language setting for the autocomplete list
  • with enabled „server mode“ and „friendly URLs“ the autocomplete list did not show

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi,

I’ve added this plugin to the list of things I need to buy – it would clean things up nicely on my forum.

A quick question – I see the data returned includes the lat/lon of the location found. If you’re going to make any changes to the add-on could you include a way to to save the lat/lon in a another customer user field? Don’t think that would be too much?

I used to accomplish the above in VB4 with geolocation on their reg IP address. This is more user-friendly for those who don’t want their exact location known.

Nonetheless I will add this to my arsenal.

Thanks

Crispin

could you include a way to to save the lat/lon in a another customer user field? Don’t think that would be too much?
That wouldn't probably be too much effort. But may I ask what you intend to do with the lat/lon data?

This is more user-friendly for those who don’t want their exact location known.
Are you sure? If users don't want to disclose their exact location they can choose a state or country..

That wouldn't probably be too much effort. But may I ask what you intend to do with the lat/lon data?
That's super. As for the use? I had a custom page I wrote and housed within VB which loaded a google map and then plotted all the members on it. They were clickable and the details showed up. I am planning the same with XF.

Are you sure? If users don't want to disclose their exact location they can choose a state or country..
That's the point. I used to grab the lat/lon from the geo-location data for their registration IP. Some people did not like the fact that it went to town level and I had to explain how it was obtained and how to change it. They did not mind state / region level. Your method allows them to make the choice up front. Which is good :)

K, I'm going to implement it. I can't promise you in which release exactly though..
That would be awesome - I can't promise which release I'll buy though :)

I am going to start on my add-on over the weekend though (Got my first one working last night!) so going to extract the the lat / lon from two user fields which are configurable in the add-on. Would you make yours have the ability to save the lat / lon to fields specified in the Options? That way it can save to anything which makes it dynamic. I can then put your add-on as a good-to-have for my add-on.

Would you make yours have the ability to save the lat / lon to fields specified in the Options?
I see that this would probably be the easiest solution for you. But I hope you understand that I consider such an implementation as a custom requirement. However, I can offer you to make a few small changes in the code that would enable your add-on to overwrite the default field IDs with custom field IDs.

Hi,

I don't mean it to be dev for my sake. My add-on will pick up the lat / lon from any field I specify.
My intention is that in the options for my add...well, that's annoying. My browser crashed and I lost my long reply :( This was all the draft saved.

My idea for yours was to allow the user to specify a field where to write the lat/lon to. They could then use this field and the HTML formatter to build a URL which contains the value. This adds so much more value in saving the details.

From my PoV though - I will be making my add-on enumerate the user fields and allow them to select where to pick up their location details from. This could be your lat/lon field or it could be from the default location or anywhere else that might be needed.

My browser crashed and I lost my long reply
Too bad. I think the longer reply would be more helpful ^^

My idea for yours was to allow the user to specify a field where to write the lat/lon to. They could then use this field and the HTML formatter to build a URL which contains the value. This adds so much more value in saving the details.
Sorry, I don't quite understand. This would be independent of your add-on, right? If so and users want to build a link with lat/lon they can simply use the fields where my add-on saves the lat/lon data. So what would be the benefit of „dynamic fields“?

From my PoV though - I will be making my add-on enumerate the user fields and allow them to select where to pick up their location details from. This could be your lat/lon field or it could be from the default location or anywhere else that might be needed.
So what exactly would be the benefit for your add-on if mine would allow users to specify the lat/lon user fields?

Top Bottom