Implemented Auto rotate attached images

AndyB

When we upload an image (using the Upload a File button) from an iPad or iPhone, the Xenforo software should check the EXIF and determine if the image needs to be orientated. This would prevent uploaded images from showing in the message in the incorrect orientation (ie: upside down or sideways).

Upvote 17
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not aware of any addon or hack to fix this limitation.

What do you mean by "I tried changing image handlers" ??

Changing from GD to ImageMagick. Someone (maybe Jake?) suggested trying it in a thread. I've been trying my google-fu at this for a few days now. No luck.

ImageMagick would be used to correct the orientation. The easiest way is to find the php code that checks the image is valid and add the ImageMagick code to correct the orientation.

That would be sweet.. This is also a huge pet peeve for me on my own site. My OCD just goes crazy.. I often resort to editing the post simply to save the photo and reupload it but i cant do that with my user albums plugin and it makes me crazy.

I wrote a php script that takes two inputs, one the attachment number, the other is the direction you need to rotate the image. So when I run across an attachment that is oriented incorrectly, I call my script and in a few seconds the image is fixed.

I wrote a php script that takes two inputs, one the attachment number, the other is the direction you need to rotate the image. So when I run across an attachment that is oriented incorrectly, I call my script and in a few seconds the image is fixed.

can you show us how to accomplish something like this?

Yep would be keen as well :)!

I really underestimated the amount of ipad users I had when switching from vb :)!

Any info on that script if you would like to share?

Thanks very much for the add-on, @SheepCow.

This really needs to be fixed in the core, though. It causes a lot of confusion for people, as this is handled transparently by nearly every other image hosting service out there.

Agreed, the core app should have the fix. With the proliferation of these devices we are seeing 6-12 images a day from iPads and iPhones that need rotation correction.

Why doesn't this work on my forum, my members are uploading sideways images all the time, is there a way to enable it?

Top Bottom