Implemented Auto-quote when posting a link (a'la Facebook)

karll

When pasting a link into a post, it would be cool if XF was able to automatically grab and quote the intro paragraph(s) and display a thumbnail of any of the images (user selectable) from the web page to which the link points. I'm sure most of us have already seen this feature on Facebook.

The thing is, FB makes users lazy, and the dark art of properly quoting and linking to a news article or other web page is soon lost forever. But let's face it, FB has a nice feature there, and it would be really cool if XF could be inspired to develop a similar feature.

(Apologies if this has already been suggested - I searched, but came up empty-handed ...)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If you silently grab some text and pictures of a foreign web site you may soon get mail from lawyers...

But there are already some add-ons available which fetches screenshots of the foreign web site and catch the title of it.

If you silently grab some text and pictures of a foreign web site you may soon get mail from lawyers...
FB already does it. If it's just a paragraph or two and a thumbnail, I believe it's categorised as "fair use". And I don't think it's any different, legally speaking, from users manually grabbing text and images.

But there are already some add-ons available which fetches screenshots of the foreign web site and catch the title of it.
This should be in XF. I'd still be interested in those add-ons though ... Got a link?

FB does this only if it has an agreement with the site. This agreement is included with the Facebook developer license.
Well, no such agreement is necessary under the "fair use" rationale. Quoting a single paragraph from a web page or news article is not copyright infringement, at least not as long as the source is credited as would be the case here.

Thank you. I ended up installing two related add-ons which I feel goes part way there. (Auto-title and auto-favicon.)

Top Bottom