Audio player that plays content based on on-page links

Trombones13

I'm looking (without much success) to build an audio player that is similar to what Pitchfork or the new redesign of SPIN has (SPIN's isn't functional yet, but it's been previewed). Both have an audio player that plays content as you browse the site. I'd like to have a player that allows me to place audio links within posts. For example, if I'm posting about a song, I could include a link that would serve up the song (either hosted on a server or fetched from something like SoundCloud) in the player. It'd also be great if the song would continue playing when the user switches to a new page, like Pitchfork does. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do that (and I imagine it won't come from an XF add-on, but from general coding--if that means the thread should be moved, Brogan, that's fine), but if any of you more web-savvy folk have any ideas or can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

p.s. This wouldn't be for playing the internet radio station unless that happens to work with it as well; I'm mainly looking for a solution to serve up audio based on site posts about it.

I almost linked to that post to mention I'd seen it, hehe--that's what I figured I might have to do. Do you have any idea how Pitchfork (or http://wearehunted.com, as another example) makes it so that you can play a song and then switch the page without it interrupting the song?

BBCM might be a good way to do the audio links; thanks for the suggestion. :)

Flash interface. It doesn't submit new page requests through the browser which gives it persistence.
Oh...blah. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do that even if I had wanted to, and if it's not compatible with everything anyway, I think doing it via a popup will be the better way to go there. Thanks for the help thus far; I'll probably update with more questions later, lol. :)

Top Bottom