Not planned Ask if User would like to Switch to PWA if on iOS

The Dark Wizard

Hey,

I'm uncertain if this is already in the scope of the feature, but on desktop it does ask if a user wants to use push notifications. The same should be the case for iOS if using the non pwa version of the browser. Most people I've asked didn't even know they could add a site to their home screen on their iPhone. Consistently across all OSes where possible with notices is my suggestion.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The same should be the case for iOS if using the non pwa version of the browser.
[...]
Consistently across all OSes where possible with notices is my suggestion.
IMHO this is not really possible as Web Push is not supported in Non-Standalone Safari on iOS.

So XenForo can only detect that web push is not possible, it can't reliably detect that it would be possible in standalone PWA (short of user agent sniffing which might be bogus).

IMHO this is not really possible as Web Push is not supported in Non-Standalone Safari on iOS.

So XenForo can only detect that web push is not possible, it can't reliably detect that it would be possible in standalone PWA (short of user agent sniffing which might be bogus).

Can we not detect if user is on iOS 16.4+ and just ask? There's no reason why any user on iOS 16.4 can't be directed to instructions or a button that helps them read on how to add the site to the home screen so that they can do push notifications.

If apple wants to be a butt about it, we can at-least assume that any 16.4 cable device is able to use tihs.

The "Install" button is displayed in the off-canvas navigation (the same as any other PWA-capable browser), and tapping it will display "Add to home screen" instructions for Safari. Other browsers may display more prominent install options in their UI, but I'm not sure we're looking to implement anything more intrusive in our own.

Top Bottom