Ask addon authors to indicate whether (& when) their addons will be migrated to XF2

Stuart Wright

Hello everyone including @Mike and @Kier,
this is a suggestion for use of the Xenforo Resource Manager with regard to addons.
Would you please consider asking all addon authors to amend their addon descriptions to indicate whether and when the addons will be migrated to Xenforo 2?

Migrating to Xenforo 2 won't be a big deal for everyone, but for many forums, it's going to be a significant and expensive process.
I think it's very important to know which addons will be upgraded and when.
Those which aren't will need replacing.
Those which are, will need an ETA so that people can plan migrating.

So for current and potential users of their addons, I think all addon authors should indicate their intentions.
Incidentally it would also be useful to mention if the addon has been rendered redundant by XF2.

I'll be updating the descriptions of my five addons as soon as I know the cost of migrating them and the potential revenue from doing so.

Thanks

I would assume that all currently maintained add-ons (which are not rendered redundant by XF2) will be updated for XF2. Why should developers suddenly stop developing their add-ons?

But -as with all timeframes- the ETA cannot be reliably published. Even XenForo does not publish an ETA for XF2 release.

I would assume that all currently maintained add-ons (which are not rendered redundant by XF2) will be updated for XF2. Why should developers suddenly stop developing their add-ons?

But -as with all timeframes- the ETA cannot be reliably published. Even XenForo does not publish an ETA for XF2 release.
Some (I think many) authors won't.
  • They have long since left the Xenforo community.
  • Their addons are unmaintained because they have lost interest.
  • They have left the community and the new owners can't justify it.
I'm looking at 93 addons on AVForums, of which 6 are unmaintained, 2 are deleted and one is an archived thread.
Only 6 are made redundant by XF2.

Knowing roughly when an author intends to migrate their addon will be a significant help when planning to migrate.
If a big forum is making those plans, then being held back by a delayed critical addon would be horrendous.
Ball park ideas are all that's needed at this stage.

A great idea @Stuart Wright And I think this could be easily implemented by the XF team by adding Custom Fields to the Resources.

Will be supported in XF2?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Redundant
XF2 Availability
  • Available
  • With XF2 Launch
  • After XF2 Launch
XF1.5 Support
  • Discontinued with XF2 Availability
  • Continued after XF2 Launch
  • Limited Time after XF2 Launch
For admins like me who are using XF and it's add-ons professionally (making a living with it), it is essential to have proper secure planning and reliable support.

Every add-on developer should afford that little time to show they care.

A great idea @Stuart Wright And I think this could be easily implemented by the XF team by adding Custom Fields to the Resources.

Will be supported in XF2?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Redundant
XF2 Availability
  • Available
  • With XF2 Launch
  • After XF2 Launch
XF1.5 Support
  • Discontinued with XF2 Availability
  • Continued after XF2 Launch
  • Limited Time after XF2 Launch
For admins like me who are using XF and it's add-ons professionally (making a living with it), it is essential to have proper secure planning and reliable support.

Every add-on developer should afford that little time to show they care.
Some addons are made partially redundant by XF2. For example, the widgets make the [bd] Widget Framework addon redundant only if, like us, you only use widgets in the sidebar.

Top Bottom