XF 1.4 Arrrgh more Spammers

JamesBrown

I'm having a load of spammers register lately so the other day I changed to Q&A at registration but still they come. The questions are pretty obscure so they are more than likely humans registering.

Is anyone else suffering, how do you combat them? Cheers

On 1.3 I was using Tenants Fool Bot Honey Pot alone, no captcha's nothing. On 1.4 since honey pot is core I am using nothing and now we are trying to figure out what to do since FBHP seemed to do a bit better.

I'm having a load of spammers register lately..............Is anyone else suffering, how do you combat them? Cheers

If you are getting hammered like that I would suggest switching on message moderation for new members.

Very simple to do with Xenforo, and you just release the good messages and consider upgrading the members who send those, and delete the members who post SPAM. That should mean no SPAM messages at all get displayed....so making it pointless to SPAM you in the first place.

Steve

If you are getting hammered like that I would suggest switching on message moderation for new members.

Very simple to do with Xenforo, and you just release the good messages and consider upgrading the members who send those, and delete the members who post SPAM. That should mean no SPAM messages at all get displayed....so making it pointless to SPAM you in the first place.

Steve
This sounds great...where do I make this change???

This sounds great...where do I make this change???

Brogan has pointed to one way. When we setup originally I just went to Users > Edit User Group > Registered and made Follow Message Moderation rules Not Set (No).

The effect of that is not to stop newly registered users being able to post, it just means all their posts go into moderation. For that to work for us I have all my confirmed/trusted members also in other groups... such as Founder Members, Subscriber members and so on, and all of those switch normal Message moderation on....meaning message moderation doesn't apply to them.

So, nobody can join our system and post SPAM on our forums. We only upgrade people from that when we are truly sure they are fine....or they can do it for themselves by paying for a subscription/auto upgrade.

Steve

Top Bottom