arrowchat - meebo - wibiya

Thanks for the links, however I had those and Taiga. Was looking more for personal experiences from Admins running those bars, good, bad, ugly.

I have used CometChat and the spin off ArrowChat... I have also used wibiya....

Here is some observations...
1. Comet and Arrow can be taxing on your server. The User's online is typically inaccurate.
2. It exhausted me to tell users they had to "friend" (or follow) a user before they could chat with them.
(I played with the various SQL calls, never got it to work how I expected)

I was looking for a more universal chat room - not a one on one...
Granted the above chat's offer that type, but the clickiness of it turned off my users - they preferred something like Tagachat...

I have user's who love to open secondary windows by right clicking... I think this kills the online enviornment with 8-9 open windows - per user...

Ultimately, it just wasn't worth it...

Wibiya was ok - but to configure it to open a chatroom (I think thye used TinyChat at the time) it was just wierd... Didn't like the interface.

Between Tagachat and PM's - I didn't see the need.

After I get done with my third XF site, I may have an ArrowChat license I'll part with.

1. Comet and Arrow can be taxing on your server. The User's online is typically inaccurate.
2. It exhausted me to tell users they had to "friend" (or follow) a user before they could chat with them.

Granted the above chat's offer that type, but the clickiness of it turned off my users - they preferred something like Tagachat...

I have user's who love to open secondary windows by right clicking... I think this kills the online enviornment with 8-9 open windows - per user...

Wibiya was ok - but to configure it to open a chatroom (I think thye used TinyChat at the time) it was just wierd... Didn't like the interface.

After I get done with my third XF site, I may have an ArrowChat license I'll part with.

Very informative, just what I was looking for, thank you.

I've never been a fan of these services, all I see it doing is slowing down a site and taking away content that could be posted or shared on the forums.

My members are the opposite, they hate not having arrowchat. I deactivated arrowchat several times. Some got mad and left the site. Some made threads b!tching bout missing arrowchat. For some people on my site, Arrowchat is the convenience of facebook chat without having to actually add people to their facebook.

I have allways used cometchat as i really like it and my members used to like it better than the normal shout box

I have looked at cometchat, was considering the top of the line or platinum version. The chatrooms located on the far left of the bar seems like weird placement to me, can it be moved over to the right side?

I have Cometchat and my members like it. The support is absolutely horrible in my experience. The worst I have ever dealt with. Tickets open for weeks without a response. It's just my experience but it was terrible.
It used to come with cool FLASH games and those just went poof one day.

I've been looking at arrowchat as it has 'is typing.'

FWIW

I have Cometchat and my members like it. The support is absolutely horrible in my experience. The worst I have ever dealt with. Tickets open for weeks without a response. It's just my experience but it was terrible.
It used to come with cool FLASH games and those just went poof one day.

I've been looking at arrowchat as it has 'is typing.'

FWIW

It seem that support for both is horrible, I sent ArrowChat a pre-sales ticket over a week ago with no answer. :(

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Support is important.
Is it possible to set a whole usergroup for arrowchat or do they have to be friends?

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Support is important.
Is it possible to set a whole usergroup for arrowchat or do they have to be friends?

Those are the questions I asked without reply. I'm getting rather frustrated with software these days, especially pay for beta's that never get updated.

I needed a chat solution that offered real time one on one conversation (not private messaging) and private chatrooms that users could create.
Envolve (free version) - Cured both of those needs but was always lagging and messages were continually not sent. Lots of problems with users staying logged in long after they've gone. Users who were not signed up were joining the chat (even though I turned that option off).

So I moved on to CometChat - Fairly satisfied with the cheapest version. I've had no server issues with up to 10-15 users chatting simultaneously and I'm still on shared hosting. BIG downside is lack of immediate moderation options. I'd say it's one of the weakest points that cometchat has. I have to let moderators have access to the admin controls of the chat in order to ban or clear chat properly.

I don't like flash so I refuse to use the flash chats with IRC. Many members don't like the flash irc options either.

Top Bottom