Areas where XenForo fails

MilesDB

There is plenty of the good stuff about Xenforo discussed here. This thread is for the bad and the ugly parts of Xenforo.

My understanding is that 1.1 will not include post edit info.

When user edits his/her post, edit time is not displayed. We don't even know if it was altered. Period. I would think it's important to know if, when and by whom the original reply was edited to maintain the logic of a discussion.

Global RSS missing, the fact of the actual ones can't be configured to be as new topics and not new posts...

I Agree with the no info when a Post is edited. Agree too when users can't edit title if they mistaked somewhere.

I see an fail too when users can create fakes and do flood of likes in their original accounts and MODs aren't be able to notice, and EVEN if they do, they can't delete likes, even with the Spam Cleaner.

About the Likes there is another Fail that is the FLOOD Controll, it must be something that blocks users to like posts like crazy! The same one that blocks users to post one every X time. Samething in status updates (far I know there isnt one).

It should be easier to find or Topics/posts separatly, like that links In Information Profile that are missing in, the MemberCard.

There should be an page with all status updates with possibility to comment/like, like an Facebook Feed but from forum, there is already an recent-activity page, but that is useless, and Status Page would be nice for people talk without flooding the forum with people say "Shyt-Chat".

An Better ALERT BOX, I usualy get lost when I'm clicking for check my alerts and then when opens new page the alerts are all gone (no diference between read and no-read alerts) and I don't know what i already clicked! That is usualy happens even here.

Sorry my English. :)

I'm sure I posted in a thread just like this.

Smiley management. (dropdown menus nor overlays work at all in these areas).

Dropdown menu sub forums. I just don't feel that subforums should be hidden. A grid like system would be my preferred choice.

Sidebar Toggle - There isn't one. More and more people are using different frameworks whether the framework is standalone, or embedded with styles but I've already seen conflicts with standalone frameworks and frameworks with styles that clash when two of the same features are being used. Sidebar toggle in the core eliminates that. It's practicality uses are there and I personally feel it's so much more that a "nice animation effect" *looks at toggle login bar* there's an example of practicality same rule applies with sidebar toggling.

I'm sure I posted in a thread just like this.

Smiley management. (dropdown menus nor overlays work at all in these areas).

Dropdown menu sub forums. I just don't feel that subforums should be hidden. A grid like system would be my preferred choice.

Sidebar Toggle - There isn't one. More and more people are using different frameworks whether the framework is standalone, or embedded with styles but I've already seen conflicts with standalone frameworks and frameworks with styles that clash when two of the same features are being used. Sidebar toggle in the core eliminates that. It's practicality uses are there and I personally feel it's so much more that a "nice animation effect" *looks at toggle login bar* there's an example of practicality same rule applies with sidebar toggling.
That addon, the Happy Place isn't it? But i think it would be nice we can add diferent buttons to editor to open smilies to choose from diferent types, in our foruns people just love smilies!

About the dropdown I agree they should have a better way to be shown, but not something that may confuse users, people new in foruns get confuse when they see alot of things and they get lost, I everyday come to help people that are lost when using the forum, soo the list of foruns may be simple as possible. :)

SideBar Toggle? I don't like toggle things like that, I would like is something awesome that is one logged user can MOVE Blocks from sidebar of position and even categories of the forum list up and down at their taste, like and "edit positions" button in the index, wont you agree? :)

That addon, the Happy Place isn't it? But i think it would be nice we can add diferent buttons to editor to open smilies to choose from diferent types, in our foruns people just love smilies!

About the dropdown I agree they should have a better way to be shown, but not something that may confuse users, people new in foruns get confuse when they see alot of things and they get lost, I everyday come to help people that are lost when using the forum, soo the list of foruns may be simple as possible. :)

SideBar Toggle? I don't like toggle things like that, I would like is something awesome that is one logged user can MOVE Blocks from sidebar of position and even categories of the forum list up and down at their taste, like and "edit positions" button in the index, wont you agree? :)

I don't agree with you. :D why would I want to move blocks around when the space I want to save actually won't be saved? :LOL:

Happy place add-on? I'm not aware of this add-on or what it does. :confused:

I don't agree with you. :D why would I want to move blocks around when the space I want to save actually won't be saved? :LOL:

Happy place add-on? I'm not aware of this add-on or what it does. :confused:
Ahhhh.... Yes it's something quite strange xD... But I mean something when users can get the main pages like they want, for be more easy for them navigate on the site. :p

The Happy Place - Clickable Smilies Under Editor Control
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-happy-place-clickable-smilies-under-editor-control.8229/

It's nice. :)

1) Url structure customization

2) Post editor (i don't like Tinymce...ckeditor is more modern and clean).

3) Status area + status widget and comments on statuses like IPB

4) Global RSS
1 - I get a bit lost. :p

2 - I like this editor, with ome button changes it's nice... BUT... I HATE, that when clicking Video, Link, Image, Code, open that box in pop-up, it usualy takes a bit to load, it should have another way for be fastest!

3 - Like I said, it's something very nice for people talk and share their dramas, that would make Status System and Follow system to be more used! And then people spend more time on forum, everybody wins! You mean like IPB when we do an status update it posts on twitter? :)

4- yup samething :D

3 - Like I said, it's something very nice for people talk and share their dramas, that would make Status System and Follow system to be more used! And then people spend more time on forum, everybody wins! You mean like IPB when we do an status update it posts on twitter? :)

Also the twitter/facebook integration, because the majority of users updates their statutes more often in fb and twitter than of a forum.... See suggestion 1 and 2 here.

I think it is very constructive to post suggestions or like the first post of a suggestion where you are interested in.

I am just interested in xf speed, in general this forum here works pretty nice.

Biggest Fails for me are:

Conversations are hard to track ( http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversations.15900/ ) and the conversations overview is horrible.(no way to delete selected conversations, no way to see all participants,...)

Nodes:
It's a smart system, but it's not thought out properly. (e.g. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/search-form.14759/ and several other suggestion, don't want to search and link all:p biggest fail=> ALL nodes are returned on places, where only forums (or an other type should be shown..)
The node permission system is IMO also really horrible to manage, once you've installed several add-ons, because you'll get ALL permission groups for the current node (i wish there would be a filter to show only the necessary permission groups.. suggestion was made already....)

"What's new" isn't global. It's returning only new posts and not all content types...4

Sidebar is nice, BUT it would be much better, if we could have the sidebar on EVERY page.
Also a sidebar block manager with ex/import feature would be great.
ATM we have the [bd] widget framework and sidebar block manager included in my add-on helper framework, but it would be much better to have 1 easy to extend interface to manage them...

Template Hooks:
They are nice, BUT it's horrible to wait for them as developer...
why not have a automatic system? Todays standard is a automatic template changer....

Last but not least because it's causing me the biggest headache:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/event-listeners-to-manipulate-criteria-in-controllers.18072/

Slow loading pop-ups for the editor, and perhaps the background fade isn't really necessary for editor functionality either.

Not much you could do on slow loading popups. You can make them look faster as Windows 7 did it compared to Vista: Once you click on an avater immediately the background starts fading and the popup background is displayed (without content). That would start the animation directly. And make everything look fast.

Not much you could do on slow loading popups. You can make them look faster as Windows 7 did it compared to Vista: Once you click on an avater immediately the background starts fading and the popup background is displayed (without content). That would start the animation directly. And make everything look fast.
I don't see how you can even compare these two... They're not even remotely the same.

It would be really nice to be notified about post edits through Alerts and email to the post author. When thread title changed or thread moved, the thread author should be notified as well.

As an author I wanna know what is happening to my stuff behind my back and who is doing it. Bad moderators is not an unheard of thing.

Top Bottom