Are you night time Geek?

Yep, I can't get most of the things I want to done before 10PM. So, usually I'll wake up in the afternoon, mingle with the "common folk" for a few hours, and then when they retire for the night I scurry back to my cave of magical things where I promptly begin to do a lot of mental work that makes up for the physical work others do. :D

I've always been a late-night/wee hours geek, until a year ago when daytime duties required more nighttime sleep. I've seen quite a few nights when the sun started coming up again - and occasional times like the song says: "For the second time since I got up it's getting dark again" - lol. *sigh*...I miss those times.

Absolutely, I am a night-owl. I do a lot of writing in my work, so I like the time between 11 pm and maybe 2:30/3 am for getting a lot of writing done. No one calling, hardly any e-mails to distract me. Sometimes, I have a tight deadline and end up pulling all nighters. Fortunately, I can usually sleep in after.

all-nighters are very productive - my brain seems all fired up at 3am lol.

Now it's nearly a quarter to seven in the morning and I'm still up. Good job I don't need to go anywhere anytime soon...

I dont sleep till around 6AM... I attribute this to two possible reasons...
  1. Lying in bed is the easiest time to think. I lie in bed and programs run through my mind. As a programmer, you CANT think up a program and then go to sleep; its like writing. If its in your head, you must get up, rush to your computer and lay it down... otherwise you get anxious or you won't remember it in the morning...
  2. No ultraviolet rays at night to interfere with your mental capacity.
Its hard because I'm an umpire and I often have to wake up at 6AM for a game.

It's 8am and I'm only just crawling into bed.

Edit; Posting on xenforo from the iTouch really did get nicer to do.

Jaxel said:
I lie in bed and programs run through my mind. As a programmer, you CANT think up a program and then go to sleep; its like writing. If its in your head, you must get up, rush to your computer and lay it down... otherwise you get anxious or you won't remember it in the morning...
I am so glad I am not the only one who gets like this!

Taking a slight tangent, what's the longest "non stop" geek session you've had.

Mine was 42 hours when my server (which at the time was hosting 20+ customer web sites & email) blew a disk and I had to set it all up from scratch/backups. [I was on a cheaper dedicated server with no RAID or backup disk. That got sorted out within days of the "incident"!!! ;)]

Needless to say, I slept for a looooooonnnnngggggggg time afterwards. Exhausted, but satisfied I'd got everyone's sites/email back up and running.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

48 hours is my tops, and it's happened only once. LOTS of kawfee consumption going on, I can tell ya that.

70 hours for me - I was on call and 3 exhanges went down one after the other.
That was when I was a tad younger though and I was being paid by the hour, with overtime :D

I was fairly tired by the time I finally collapsed into bed o_O

Two hours later I got another call....my response was less than polite :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom