Are you going to stop all the xenForo forums appearing?

Neal

One of the thousand things that annoyed me with vBulletin is all the vB forums that people create just to earn money from the name. I know it ends up good for vB in a way as it is free advertising, but it gets confusing and damn annoying seeing all the sites for vB. People new to the software could also, im my opinion, get misled thinking they are on a genuine site, etc.

Are you going to limit people using your brand for their own gain? A mod site could be a good idea, or perhaps a mod section add-on to this site, operated by you of course.

I'm seeing sites appearing already for your software, and it really is silly. If you want xenForo information, come here, simple!

One of the thousand things that annoyed me with vBulletin is all the vB forums that people create just to earn money from the name. I know it ends up good for vB in a way as it is free advertising, but it gets confusing and damn annoying seeing all the sites for vB. People new to the software could also, im my opinion, get misled thinking they are on a genuine site, etc.

Are you going to limit people using your brand for their own gain? A mod site could be a good idea, or perhaps a mod section add-on to this site, operated by you of course.

I'm seeing sites appearing already for your software, and it really is silly. If you want xenForo information, come here, simple!
Many of the sites are fansites that'll be offering services and or products.

Others are skin or development sites offering products and services.

Also, Mike and Kier have already stated that they will be making the modification and design community part of XenForo.com, so as to not cause the schism that is seen by vB.com and vB.org; its just a lot more logical as well. 

If by 'brand' you mean people using XenForo in their domain name, yes they are limiting this. The use of xenforo in a site or domain name is not permitted.
See this - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/random-questions-answered.114/page-2#post-52611
Strange... dont we have a bunch of people here already turning out XenForo related sites?
Im guessing that XF cant regular the simple use of the word "Xen" right?
Hence why we have sites like XenDesigns, XenPortal, XenAddicts, XenStyles, etc...

Also, Mike and Kier have already stated that they will be making the modification and design community part of XenForo.com, so as to not cause the schism that is seen by vB.com and vB.org; its just a lot more logical as well.
They own the .net extention, so I'm guessing that they'll have something like vb.org when they can. The difference is, this time, they own it from the get-go, not like before, where another person owned vb.org. That's the difference here.

They own the .net extention, so I'm guessing that they'll have something like vb.org when they can. The difference is, this time, they own it from the get-go, not like before, where another person owned vb.org. That's the difference here.
They said part of Xenforo.com, not any other domain.

They said part of Xenforo.com, not any other domain.
*head itches* I don't see the logic behind that, I'm used to the idea that xenforo community is a feedback forum - and them modifying the forums into a modshop [I'm not sure if this is true or not, I'm guessing from experience at VB.org.] is going to make it like hm. well. a little too.... to put it nicely, crowded.

I absolutely agree that one place makes more sense than two. You can divide the forums to make clear the distinction between XenForo product support and third-party add-ons.
I always found the vb.com/vb.org thing to be an annoying distinction.

Obviously xF has every right to protect their trade mark, but I don't see why people are opposed to third party fan/support/addon/style sites, it's just good competition which ultimately helps the development of the software.

Obviously xF has every right to protect their trade mark, but I don't see why people are opposed to third party fan/support/addon/style sites, it's just good competition which ultimately helps the development of the software.
Regarding the add-ons though, I think it's better to keep these centralized. Better to have one strong add-on community than several weak ones.

Why would one solution be better than competing solutions? Surely competition drives development.
Because in this case, a big add-on community brings all coders / developers together, which is more important than two or more competing for 'the best site'.

In other cases I would agree with you, but when we talk about add-ons, multiple communities offer no additional benefit.

Because in this case, a big add-on community brings all coders / developers together, which is more important than two or more competing for 'the best site'.

In other cases I would agree with you, but when we talk about add-ons, multiple communities offer no additional benefit.
Why does bringing people together necessarily equate to a good thing, some people like to collaborate, others prefer to work alone, competition in software development is just as important as in other walks of life.

Top Bottom