Are XenForo forums hard for search engine crawlers?

BGL

I tested one of the "Build a site map" programs, SiteMap Automater, and it took forever to check my small XenForo forum and was reported back all kinds of redirects and way more pages than my site has. I was wondering if the search engine crawlers would have a similar problem looking at the site and coming up with relevant content to reference.

Google doesn't seem to have any issues. Quite the opposite in fact.

Using the tools at Googles Webmaster is what got me started looking. When I run Googles Crawl Errors I get "Failed to load data, please try again later." and with Fetch as Google, I get "Temporarily unavailable" or "Partial". Also seems to take a while. Google suggests doing a site map which got had me trying SiteMapAutomator and then that had trouble.

Google PageSpeedInsights also came back with an 61/100 with lots of stuff to fix.

I was wondering if Google just powers through the issues that SiteMapAutomator had.

Any other suggested tools for checking a XenForo forum besides the Google Webmaster stuff?

Last edited:
Using the tools at Googles Webmaster is what got me started looking. When I run Googles Crawl Errors I get "Failed to load data, please try again later." and with Fetch as Google, I get "Temporarily unavailable" or "Partial". Also seems to take a while. Google suggests doing a site map which got had me trying SiteMapAutomator and then that had trouble.

Google PageSpeedInsights also cam back with an 61/100 with lots of stuff to fix.

I was wondering of Google just powers through the issues that SiteMapAutomator had.

Any other suggested tools for checking a XenForo forum besides the Google Webmaster stuff?

Yeah i understand. I dont use any of that stuff and Google finds me just fine. I'm not telling anyone what to do here just letting you know.

xenforo doesn't have any stock sitemaps functionality. I am not sure how well the addon works. I know it doesn't support many other addons. xenforo seems to do well in search engines, and also applies microdata tags, but optimization is always possible.
Pagespeed is one of many factors in SEO. None the less it should be good. Read more here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/need-help-with-boosting-google-pagespeed-insights.59350/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/make-xf-faster-google-page-speed.21837/

Interesting, Floren seemed to say a 61/100 is not that bad for dynamically generated sites which I'm assuming applies to XenForo. Thought the LightSpeed said it couldn't read the forum in Mobile view and that's a bit troubling as it is pretty much out of the box XenForo.

Xenforo does absolutely fine with google...I made a post here like 2 months ago and when I search a two word query at google I get

About 15,400,000 results
(0.33 seconds)

with my thread being in 5th position

If I add one more word to the search (a three letter preposition) things are still very general and widely covered and not completely specific to anything unique that literally another million sites have posted related materials ... and I get the following...

About 1,370,000 results (0.38 seconds)
With my thread returning as the first result.

I would have to personally submit that xf does fine with search engines (google being the only search engine that I
use or care about).

Interesting, Floren seemed to say a 61/100 is not that bad for dynamically generated sites which I'm assuming applies to XenForo. Thought the LightSpeed said it couldn't read the forum in Mobile view and that's a bit troubling as it is pretty much out of the box XenForo.
Floren is correct... as an example here is the results for a page owned by a 12 billion dollar company...

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=fox.com

Again xenforo out of the box (+ content) does way better and for a price point that is way (insanely) less than what FOX can afford to throw at a piece of software.

Top Bottom