Are we closer to IE11 support?

Mike Fara

I know IE is not exactly the gold standard in web browsing, but it is the default browser installed in Windows and large corporations still use it to control it with group policy. Will we see support as soon as Windows 8.1 is released or prior to? This could become a major headache if it is not addressed soon. We have about 5 weeks before Windows 8.1 goes retail.

I'd be very surprised if any large corporations jump on Windows 8.1 as soon as it is released. Most businesses stick with older versions of Windows for quite some time as it is known plus often applications are written to run in older versions of IE. The local authority I work for has only just moved us to Windows 7, for example. Other companies are still using Windows XP and IE8 (IE7 in some cases!) which is why Xenforo still supports IE8.

Yes, IE11 will need to be supported in the near future but I don't think it's quite the 'major headache' and short timescale that you are suggesting. :)

I know the standards in IE are crap. Even trying to force compatibility for IE10 brings up some stupid issue. I was just wondering if there was progress being made. At least I know for certain it won't take 2 years or whatever like it did for vB to update WYSIWYG compatibility. Thanks for your replies.

I know the standards in IE are crap. Even trying to force compatibility for IE10 brings up some stupid issue. I was just wondering if there was progress being made. At least I know for certain it won't take 2 years or whatever for vB to update WYSIWYG compatibility. Thanks for your replies.

TBH I would expect the XF guys to be on it fairly quickly. They know their stuff and appear to have a solid grasp on what's coming-up in terms of tech/software. They're "on the ball" so to speak. (y)

IIRC Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade? If so I'd guess lots of people will download and install it quite quickly after release and then we should have a better idea of what works / doesn't work in terms of compatibility with XF.

Probably the best approach will be to get your hands on the final public release of IE11 - give it a thorough test drive, here on XF.com - then report any problems you come across. :)

1.2.2 is likely to be released soon.

The bugs relating to IE11 were only reported yesterday.

Best thing you can do is test test test and report any others you can find.

Top Bottom