Are there any plugins that...

Seems kinda subjective. If you asked overclock.net they probably would have said tapatalk after they switched to Huddler. Not sure if they ever really recovered from all the angry tapatalk users. Some people didn't want to browse or post without it. Then again it also lacked the mobile feel of Xenforo 1.2+

As @Stuart Wright from TechPowerUp would say Forum Users have tunnel vision - http://xenforo.com/community/thread...heyre-not-interested-in-extra-features.69669/ Not necessarily what your looking for but before you dive into non forum related plugins, a little food for thought.

While some users have a hard on for titles, post counts and reputation it really only works in an established forum. Trophies and activity meters are for the fools but maybe thats your crowd. Site I took over the owner eventually realized that no one cared about that stuff. Unless it gets you something useful or real people may not care. At the same time its all about the crowd.

These days I hate browsing through forum sections trying to find whats up. On a small site the New Posts link works great and on large sites the user probably sticks to some comfortable areas. I really prefer a portal page on a site with recent threads as the main feature. I hate to go to a site with no front page and a tiny recent threads in the side bar.

Seems kinda subjective. If you asked overclock.net they probably would have said tapatalk after they switched to Huddler. Not sure if they ever really recovered from all the angry tapatalk users. Some people didn't want to browse or post without it. Then again it also lacked the mobile feel of Xenforo 1.2+

As @Stuart Wright from TechPowerUp would say Forum Users have tunnel vision - http://xenforo.com/community/thread...heyre-not-interested-in-extra-features.69669/ Not necessarily what your looking for but before you dive into non forum related plugins, a little food for thought.

While some users have a hard on for titles, post counts and reputation it really only works in an established forum. Trophies and activity meters are for the fools but maybe thats your crowd. Site I took over the owner eventually realized that no one cared about that stuff. Unless it gets you something useful or real people may not care. At the same time its all about the crowd.

These days I hate browsing through forum sections trying to find whats up. On a small site the New Posts link works great and on large sites the user probably sticks to some comfortable areas. I really prefer a portal page on a site with recent threads as the main feature. I hate to go to a site with no front page and a tiny recent threads in the side bar.

Decent food for thought. Although the real answer to the question of increasing activity is as I've mentioned, real people... If you do not have real people to offer interaction you've nothing. Install all the "end-user" eye candy or applications you want. If there's no challenge or intellectual interaction then the site will eventually crumble.

Hence the request for the OPs website address. Most often it is not about implementing another plugin to entice or create interest but instead the action of swapping thoughts, and the delivery of relevant content to the right target(s). If you're not speaking to your audience or giving them reason to come back, then what's the point? If I wanted to interact under set limitations I would play super mario on my nofriendo... eventually we figure out the ins and outs, how to get behind the map, and it gets boring.

If (as you've mentioned) you want to keep people active, offer something tangible or rewarding for their interactions, don't just look for one more addon to fill the void.

Took me atleast 2 and half years to get people active on my small City based forum ..finally things are turning around abit ...

Thank all, I think maybe I was not clear though. It's not that my forum is inactive or new actually it is doing ok but just wondered if there was anything out there to deeper engage users that currently use the forum or maybe persuade those members that post once or twice to post more.

I have the sidebar widgets that show top posters which has been quite popular. I was thinking about installing a newsletter plugin maybe to remind people we are still here and what's going on. Things like that really.

Regarding the post linked above, that is actually quite interesting. I installed a gallery and. Resources but no one really has bothered with them at all.

I was thinking about installing a newsletter plugin maybe to remind people we are still here and what's going on. Things like that really.

Always a good idea, as long as you are providing fresh content and not regurgitating the same stuff, or old news.

You don't need addons to increase activity, you need to have an environment where people are engaged and interested enough to post. Trophies, titles, thread prefixes ect isn't enough IMO, gets old fast,

I could care less about what I have or have not earned...or any other little perks, or have my site shown in the light of the interwebz have you seen, I have a couple forums, one has 100 active members one has 20, it all about the discussion(s), one has been around for ten years, the other 4, social media has not killed forums, site owners have, going where they shouldn't, IMO, then again I serve no ads, and have no interest in any monetary possibilities, I cater to what my group of members are more likely to respond to, open discussion, with the least amount of intrusion from other platforms as possible, I am probably going to be extinct soon though, old skool, we have a couple new users a month, but those that are there are active, good enough for me, that old saying they tell a friend, they tell a friend, they tell two friends, lol, activity via social media is a means to detract from what your forum is, again JMO,

All that being said, too many are focused on overall activity and member count, new registrations, rather than the activity that means something to the user base, build on that, you will have a successful forum, so many forums come and go and so often, so many site owners don't see that, and rather try to compete.......;)

You don't need addons to increase activity, you need to have an environment where people are engaged and interested enough to post. Trophies, titles, thread prefixes ect isn't enough IMO, gets old fast,

I could care less about what I have or have not earned...or any other little perks, or have my site shown in the light of the interwebz have you seen, I have a couple forums, one has 100 active members one has 20, it all about the discussion(s), one has been around for ten years, the other 4, social media has not killed forums, site owners have, going where they shouldn't, IMO, then again I serve no ads, and have no interest in any monetary possibilities, I cater to what my group of members are more likely to respond to, open discussion, with the least amount of intrusion from other platforms as possible, I am probably going to be extinct soon though, old skool, we have a couple new users a month, but those that are there are active, good enough for me, that old saying they tell a friend, they tell a friend, they tell two friends, lol, activity via social media is a means to detract from what your forum is, again JMO,

All that being said, too many are focused on overall activity and member count, new registrations, rather than the activity that means something to the user base, build on that, you will have a successful forum, so many forums come and go and so often, so many site owners don't see that, and rather try to compete.......;)

Thanks my forum has been going for 3 years has almost 2000 members and probably only about 100 are active members. Our site is doing well and we do gen new members etc my aim really was not focused on getting more members and numbers but to ensure my members are engaged and creating new content which means everything else will follow. I do serve ads however, in the earlier days i was the same as you never bothered about money etc and i am still not but as we have become more busy and popular it calls for better hosting and and more time so i cover my costs but that's it.

Depending on the subject and goals of the forum or site, increasing activity of each user may not even bring a benefit.

I heartily agree with the concept above that most users could care less about extra features.

User engagement can be a zero-sum game. As an example, I used to have clients who manufactured household products. They'd ask me how they can get more pages of their site read.

I told them they don't want people to read more. They want to get people OFF their site and into the real world where they may go look at the product and perhaps buy it

On both of my sites I want users to engage exactly as much or little as they desire. The improvements in search engines usually means less rather than more engagement because people are often directed directly to the proper answer or relevant thread.

It's always important to step back and look at the mission - and consider whether quality or quantity is more important.

The credits plugin increased my activity by 1/3 in a matter of 2 days. It's free also. The forum I speak off is oriented at gamers.

Top Bottom