Are there any plans to better exploit the likes system?

Lone Wolf

I'd really like to see admins able to make better use of the likes system both in public and privately.

In public we could create most liked threads lists, most liked posts, most liked poster and all sorts of incentives for members to give more thought to what they're posting. Personally I think being able to create a list of most liked threads would mean we'd be able to show lurkers/guests the best of what our forum has to offer in one quick list.

Privately I think it would be very useful for admins to be able to see the sort of threads/posts that their users are liking and perhaps gear their site towards more of that level/type of content. Plus if we could see which posters were getting the most likes that would be invaluable too.

So Kier/Mike, any plans for something like this to be implemented?

Most liked content sounds great, most liked members not. The latter would create competition between individuals, instead of competition for creating the best content. It was the reason the vB reputation system failed to be useful beyond its entertaining factor on our boards.

But a dedicated page that focusses on content statistics etc. would be great.

I'd really like to see admins able to make better use of the likes system both in public and privately.

In public we could create most liked threads lists, most liked posts, most liked poster and all sorts of incentives for members to give more thought to what they're posting. Personally I think being able to create a list of most liked threads would mean we'd be able to show lurkers/guests the best of what our forum has to offer in one quick list.

Privately I think it would be very useful for admins to be able to see the sort of threads/posts that their users are liking and perhaps gear their site towards more of that level/type of content. Plus if we could see which posters were getting the most likes that would be invaluable too.

So Kier/Mike, any plans for something like this to be implemented?

Most liked content sounds great, most liked members not. The latter would create competition between individuals, instead of competition for creating the best content. It was the reason the vB reputation system failed to be useful beyond its entertaining factor on our boards.

But a dedicated page that focusses on content statistics etc. would be great.

That's a very good suggestion.

I do think that there should be an option to eliminate threads/posts that make it to the page listing due to members receiving "loyalty likes" - their friends liking every post they submit. and joke threads for example which can accumulate a lot of likes but for content they don't offer anything other than a good laugh, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think as an optional feature, if this is entertained the ability for the admin to have the ability to remove threads from the listings.

That's a very good suggestion.

I do think that there should be an option to eliminate threads/posts that make it to the page listing due to members receiving "loyalty likes" - their friends liking every post they submit. and joke threads for example which can accumulate a lot of likes but for content they don't offer anything other than a good laugh, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think as an optional feature, if this is entertained the ability for the admin to have the ability to remove threads from the listings.
Agree with Shelley. To take it a step further, having it as a per node/forum option would probably reduce the chance of joke threads being at the top of the list all the time :)

@dutchbb I agree with you, on my own site I would not put most liked poster into the public domain for the very reasons you've mentioned but it should be available as an option for those who would want to do that. However I would like to be able to see most liked posters as an admin because it would show you posters who are creating liked content. Not only that it could also help you keep abreast of liking cliques, especially if you dont tend to follow every thread and post on your site.

@Shelley Yeah I totally agree. There should be an option for the admin/mods to approve what content is shown in the most liked page because it's about promoting your site.

The Popular Content Mod by XenFans lists most liked, posts & threads as well as using a custom calculation based on a number of factors (not just likes) to list "Top Users"

The Popular Content Mod by XenFans lists most liked, posts & threads as well as using a custom calculation based on a number of factors (not just likes) to list "Top Users"

I think this needs to be a core functionality but the add-on sounds interesting, do you have a link?

I just checked and it seems that it is currently only available as a premium release, you can see a demo here though http://xenfans.com/popular/

What I'd really like to see is more recognition of threads as an entity in XenForo.

Currently we dont have any stat for threads created or most liked threads, etc. The threads are the most important part of a forum, they're the skeleton which gives a forum shape and the posts a purpose. I rate an original thread maker higher than someone who makes good posts, although both are important in their own way.

Top Bottom