Are forum communities obsolete?

The only trouble with that is that you don't need a forum for it....a blog or even a static html page will do it.

What you get nowadays, if you do have content like that on a forum, is people signing up to read it, and then clearing off.

It is getting extremely difficult for even established forums to actually promote any sort of meaningful discussion. People just aren't interested, Facebook and Twitter has dumbed down the whole experience and if you're very lucky you get a few soundbites and a couple of smileys because that's all people do on Facebook and it's all they want to do anywhere.

Forums are not "dying" as such but the days of running large sites with thousands of posts a day in a general interest community are long gone.

And ironically a lot of the "social" stuff is making it worse. I changed vB's rep system into a Like system that functions similarly to the one on here, and it's been the single biggest cause of my own drop in visible activity, simply because instead of actually bothering to post a reply of some sort, people just click "Like".

And then as a result nobody bothers starting new threads because they believe they don't get any sort of meaningful response.

I am now of the opinion that having this "like" stuff is even more detrimental to communities than Facebook is.

I agree 100% about your thoughts on the "like" functionality; however, I'm not sure what is worse: a Like system that may prevent x% of fruitful discourse, or pages of posts that simply agree with someone else without extending the scope of the topic?

I would like to think the Like system does more harm than good, but maybe I'm just being optimistic.

I want to emphasize this because it is important. Forums are about content as opposed to networking.

That's not entirely true, as it is ignoring that forums are intrinsically social. For instance, take the whole genre of forums dedicated to those diagnosed with specifics chronic or even terminal health issues. These types of forums thrive not so much on the content they offer, but the support system their networks foster.

We are not in disagreement. I am only distinguishing what sets forums apart and that is content.

Thought provoking, for sure.

Personally I think people have 2 modes. "Kill Time" mode, and "Seek Specific Information" mode, though they can mix the 2.

1) For the people that are seeking information, and that information can easily be found, I'm not sure a forum for discussing that information would have much activity.
For instance I found enough information on how to use the vi editor by a quick web search, I did not feel the need to join a forum about it to discuss the nuances of vi in depth. I simply wanted to know a few basic commands...

2) On the other hand. For information that is not easily found, such as last night when I was seeking information why my Genie Pro CM8600 garage door opener was malfunctioning, I might have been more tempted to join a garage door opener forum - if I had found one last night. While there I would have looked around and try to help others where I could (adding content). Subscribe to a thread with email, or more likely check back every few days for a few weeks (having more people online).

The ability to ask questions, and get a timely & knowledgeable responses seems quite powerful.

The other aspect seems to be 'new original content/news' not available anywhere else - that will also draw people in. I've not seen too much of that on facebook. I have seen quick general comments, massive complaints, but I've not seen facebook accounts where people are creating original content, or are helping each other.

...Facebook and Twitter has dumbed down the whole experience...

Facebook and Twitter have provided users with a superior UX. They have led the way and changed the format of online discussion.

It is my opinion that forum applications have long neglected UX. XenForo is doing a great job though.

And ironically a lot of the "social" stuff is making it worse. I changed vB's rep system into a Like system that functions similarly to the one on here, and it's been the single biggest cause of my own drop in visible activity, simply because instead of actually bothering to post a reply of some sort, people just click "Like".

And then as a result nobody bothers starting new threads because they believe they don't get any sort of meaningful response.

I am now of the opinion that having this "like" stuff is even more detrimental to communities than Facebook is.

Interesting. I have always though of "likes" as replacing meaningless posts. In that sense I can see how it would decrease posting activity. But the "like" button is no substitute for a meaningful response to a thread.

In my mind the biggest advantage of the like system is that it encourages quality posts. I also like that there are only likes and not dislikes. I implemented negative reputation on my forum and every negative click started drama. Positive reinforcement is the way to go.

I belive the like feature xenforo has, successfully prevents dumb and emty posts from being spread while it encurages more appealing threads being created. It has a positive affect on users who have something to say and were comfortable just to watch.

Maybe it's just me or the users that have been with us for 3 years and started posting stuff, I don't know. What I know, is the wheels are turning.

My forum is the complete opposite.

Activity and posts have increased tenfold since converting from phpBB3 and there are also tens of thousands of likes.

As with most things, it depends on lots of factors, but with forums it's primarily down to the members.

Couldn't disagree more - one of the forums I frequent, Facepunch, allows users to rate posts with not just 'Like' but just about every common response you can think of, and it's growing at a crazy rate.

Couldn't disagree more - one of the forums I frequent, Facepunch, allows users to rate posts with not just 'Like' but just about every common response you can think of, and it's growing at a crazy rate.
it would be so awesome to have that option, similar to blogger. i could add 'downloaded' or 'installed' to threads in the resources node for people to keep track of what they have downloaded, 'laugh' in the off-topic node, 'hug' in the rl hospital node, etc. in short, a total advantage to my community. its too bad the like system is nerfed solely because people are so paranoid that somebody on the other side of the world might have a disagree button on their board.

awesome idea, imagine if you can select between "like, disagree, troll, lol, fail", etc...
that would be FANTASTIC !!!

I've just had a look at that, it is quite an interesting idea. My first thought is that it would reduce discussion in the forum since people could just "disagree" rather than post and say why, so maybe it is best to use on a very large and busy community like Facepunch (which has some staggering stats!!). What I like about XenForo's "like" button is that is does state user names from the start, so it makes it a little more personal. However as you say, the members there do like it and they do use it :)

Well you're in luck. As explained by a few others already, forums are still very relevant in today's Internet. :)

jmurrayhead

I thank you for the encouraging post, Just hope that I am flexible enough to learn the standard forum environment quickly.

As long as they keep adapting to change and keeping with the times I can't see forums for the foreseeable future become obsolete. The word in the title really sums it when associating a name to forums, "communities"... something I think lacks with micro blogs, social networks. Content and discussion is another, take this thread for example you won't or seldom get thorough indepth discussions on twitter, facebook, googleplus etc like you get as standard on forum where the community come together and post their thoughts that don't consist of minimal words.

Anyway, people have been saying that for years that the social sector will make forums obsolete and still they are going, communities thriving. Imo the longevity of forum software is safe (that and if you stay away from farmtown/farmville) I can see forums become just as popular as they've ever been. (y)

Top Bottom