Are American schools really as cliquey as they're made out to be on tv?

Jo.

I've always wondered this because it seems so extreme... Do the tv shows/movies exaggerate the whole cliques thing or is it really like that??

I've always wondered this because it seems so extreme... Do the tv shows/movies exaggerate the whole cliques thing or is it really like that??
You mean the whole jock/nerd/goth/druggie thing? Yeah, it's true in many cases. Not all schools, but almost every school I've been to.

Somewhat true but not as big as the movies make it seem to be, everyone gets along with each other.

so it is like that to an extent... but just not so extreme?

It's weird to me, cos none of the schools I went to here in England were even slightly like that so it's always interested me how different school seems over there compared to here. There were cliques I guess in my school but not so set in stone or so extreme. Like there was the 'in crowd' and then there was everyone else. Not like the whole, nerds, jocks, drama kids, goths etc.

so it is like that to an extent... but just not so extreme?

It's weird to me, cos none of the schools I went to here in England were even slightly like that so it's always interested me how different school seems over there compared to here. There were cliques I guess in my school but not so set in stone or so extreme. Like there was the 'in crowd' and then there was everyone else. Not like the whole, nerds, jocks, drama kids, goths etc.
To be really honest there are cliques but everyone are friends with each other and hangout with each other, they just sometimes hangout with their favorite group of friends say they are on the football team so then they chill with their bros on the football team, thats just an example but everyone is basically the same and get along fine. Atleast thats how it is in my high school.

I dont know what movies you have been watching.... but in a sense yes.

in our school we had our popular group (pretty girls and most sport players) which was more stuck up than anyone
we had our all around cool/funny kids (friends with almost everyone)
and we also had our wierd/goth/loser groups which pretty much kept to them selfs
there was our nerd/smart kids which some were cool and some were labeled as complete geeks
and we also had our black and mexican groups. i remembered MOST black people would segregate them selfs to one particular spot at lunch and gym and in the auditorium
there was only a handful of mexicans (about 10) and most of them were considered to be cool (and most of them were) and there was maybe 3 or 4 vietnamese people who were in the geek group of school (because of their smarts and lack of social skills).

My graduating class was about 120 people and there was maybe 400/450 in our high school (freshman to senior or 9th to 12th).

At my school no one was racist (or atleast they didn't show it) and most everyone got along pretty well. I was stuck between the cool and popular group because of my abilities at sports and my sense of humor in the class room.

Did I mention I was in a Texas school and NOT all schools in the US are even close to being the same.

65% White
30% Black
3% Mexican
2% Vietnamese and other

Oh and dont READ this POST wrong!!!!!!!! I am NOT racist and my FB account can prove that hahahaha

To be really honest there are cliques but everyone are friends with each other and hangout with each other, they just sometimes hangout with their favorite group of friends say they are on the football team so then they chill with their bros on the football team, thats just an example but everyone is basically the same and get along fine. Atleast thats how it is in my high school.

That sounds way less extreme than they make it out to be. I guess it varies depending on where you go if Mattie says his was pretty much the way it is on tv. It probably varies over here too, but I've never experienced it... but then I guess my senior school (high school equivalent) was a nice school to go to so I don't really know what it's like elsewhere.

It's just interesting how different it seems over there. :)

in our school we had our popular group (pretty girls and most sport players) which was more stuck up than anyone
and we also had our wierd/goth/loser groups which pretty much kept to them selfs
there was our nerd/smart kids which some were cool and some were labeled as complete geeks
and we also had our black and mexican groups. i remembered MOST black people would segregate them selfs to one particular spot at lunch and gym and in the auditorium
there was only a handful of mexicans (about 10) and most of them were considered to be cool (and most of them were) and there was maybe 3 or 4 vietnamese people who were in the geek group of school (because of their smarts and lack of social skills).

My graduating class was about 120 people and there was maybe 400/450 in our high school (freshman to senior or 9th to 12th).

At my school no one was racist (or atleast they didn't show it) and most everyone got along pretty well. I was stuck between the cool and popular group because of my abilities at sports and my sense of humor in the class room.

Did I mention I was in a Texas school and NOT all schools in the US are even close to being the same.

65% White
30% Black
3% Mexican
2% vietnamese and other

Oh and dont READ this POST wrong!!!!!!!! I am NOT racist and my FB account can prove that hahahaha
LOL.
In my school there it is very diverse with many cultures and races so everyone gets along great. White kids, black kids, hispanic kis, asian kids, indian kids, etc.. there are a whole bunch of every kind.

It also depends on what end of the spectrum you are on...I was the lone "fat girl" no one liked, everyone picked on cause I was fat and preferred books to making fun of others. (fat being a size 12 in a size 8 world). It didn't help that I also wore clothes my grandmother made for me instead of bought in stores, long before labels were even THAT popular.

But somewhere around the age of 40, I learned to like myself regardless of my size.

And now it doesn't hurt that most of my contemporaries are fighting the same battles I do with the weight demons and like me, losing. And I buy my clothes cause they fit me and are comfortable, not for a label on the tag. Who cares who makes them as long as they last and fit.

Yes, there are cliques or we would not be dealing with a major bullying issue here in the states that seems to be costing LIVES.

65% White
30% Black
3% Mexican
2% vietnamese and other

your post didn't sound racist to me. :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Btw, does 'class' mean your year group... as in all the people in the same year (grade I guess) as you? 'Class' to me means the people in what you would call 'home room' I think... or the people who are in the same lesson as you. :)

your post didn't sound racist to me. :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Btw, does 'class' mean your year group... as in all the people in the same year (grade I guess) as you? 'Class' to me means the people in what you would call 'home room' I think... or the people who are in the same lesson as you. :)
Yes in class I mean my graduating year group.

It also depends on what end of the spectrum you are on...I was the lone "fat girl" no one liked, everyone picked on cause I was fat and preferred books to making fun of others. (fat being a size 12 in a size 8 world). It didn't help that I also wore clothes my grandmother made for me instead of bought in stores, long before labels were even THAT popular.

But somewhere around the age of 40, I learned to like myself regardless of my size.

And now it doesn't hurt that most of my contemporaries are fighting the same battles I do with the weight demons and like me, losing. And I buy my clothes cause they fit me and are comfortable, not for a label on the tag. Who cares who makes them as long as they last and fit.

Yes, there are cliques or we would not be dealing with a major bullying issue here in the states that seems to be costing LIVES.

That's really sad Liz. :( Kids can be really cruel sometimes. I was bullied at school too but it wasn't really a clique thing. Bullying is a big issue over here as well but I don't really think it's cos of cliques as such. At least not in my experience anyway.

Good for you for learning to like yourself as you are! :)

Cool kids can be bullied to I guess, I think its something that will never really stop as no matter how much we deny it or are against it im sure everyone has bullied someone before either directly or indirectly...

Cool kids can be bullied to I guess, I think its something that will never really stop as no matter how much we deny it or are against it im sure you have bullied someone before either directly or indirectly...

I was too quiet to bully anyone - too scared to 'say boo to a goose' lol, but yeah you make a good point that well, people sure do have a tendancy to pick on others for whatever reason.

Our school was small enough that there was not that much bullying going on. However looking back now I think we made more fun of our teachers than each other. Although there were some kids that caught the crap on a daily basis. I remember stepping between quite a few fights and stopping them, I even got knocked in the chin once but thats the price you pay.

Hahaha one thing I NEVER did was stop girl fights, those were the absolute BEST hahaha good memories

Our school was small enough that there was not that much bullying going on. However looking back now I think we made more fun of our teachers than each other. Although there were some kids that caught the crap on a daily basis. I remember stepping between quite a few fights and stopping them, I even got knocked in the chin once but thats the price you pay.

Hahaha one thing I NEVER did was stop girl fights, those were the absolute BEST hahaha good memories

Good for you for standing up for people. Sometimes that makes more of a difference than you'd realise - even if just to let the person getting bullied know that they aren't alone.

Lol, yeah, girl fights can get nasty. lol.

We had one two weeks ago, but I wasnt there to see it lol. Never seen one :P But I heard that fight was pretty bad, one of the girls had a patch of hair pulled out.. eww sounds horrible lol

Top Bottom