Apple releases iPad 4th generation and iPad mini

Grover

I was about to buy 'the new iPad' (3rd generation) last week, but when I arrived at the local store, I discovered that I... lost my wallet :confused:. Yup, I left my wallet on the roof of my car after I left the tank station just 20 minutes before ... and subsequently I lost it somewhere on the highway. Well, it's a long story, but I am happy to say I got my wallet back.

I am also happy to say that this experience unexpectedly postponed the buying of my new iPad, because a few days later I come accross this article on 9to5mac:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/19/new-f...als-lightning-to-retain-current-ipad-pricing/

Logically I couldn't believe it and classified it as one of the countless of baseless rumors. 6 months after they introduced 'the new iPad' (it keeps being an odd name), they are announcing a new one? You've got to be kidding me o_O.

But... here we go, miracles are happening as we speak:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/23/apple-announces-fourth-generation-ipad/

The 4th generation is there, only 6 months after releasing the 3th generation...

I'm waiting for the next gen ASUS Transformer, now there's a tablet that can actually replace my laptop!

On the mini though: That is actually pretty poor resolution...certainly not retina but even the 7" Kindle Fire has a better resolution.

It seems that Apple is shelling out more crap and less "revolutionary" products every year. I hope that iPad update was just to stay competitive and that there will be some kind of major update later.

My initial thoughts... Amazon, B&N and Google must be happy with this announcement. Sure, Apple will sell a lot of these devices, and may even command a large share of the space, but they just threw a huge wave of interest into the market where they're being undercut on price and not offering that much differentiation [1].

[1] The announcement speech was full of contradictions, it seemed even they were struggling to differentiate the Mini from the (cheaper) N7.

You guys are comparing specs. Apple products have never competed in terms of specs. It's more a UX kind of purchase.

The new mac mini got rid of the discrete graphics from the previous generation, and they have added a hotter CPU into a case that already has major heat problems. Of course all Apple products for the last several years have had heat problems, but still.

You guys are comparing specs. Apple products have never competed in terms of specs. It's more a UX kind of purchase.

The new mac mini got rid of the discrete graphics from the previous generation, and they have added a hotter CPU into a case that already has major heat problems. Of course all Apple products for the last several years have had heat problems, but still.

Eh, Apple competes on specs when it's to their advantage -- size, weight, resolution, ppi, processor, gpu speed, etc. It's not like the two concepts (UX and specs) are independent; all of these things have an impact on the user experience.

UX just happens to be their most consistent advantage, but even that gap isn't once as wide as it was.

Now why in the world would anyone buy an iPad mini? You can do almost everything that does on iPhone and iPod touch.
Redundant.

I have a Nexus - which I like very much.....

Still, I think the statistics tell us all a lot here - Apple claimed that 90% of tablet web surfing is on ipads.

My site statistics bear out something of that nature.......

Fact is, ALL of these tablets are such a good deal (value) that spending a little more to GET more is not going to stop folks from buying either the mini nor the regular ipads. Also, remember that Google and Amazon are not making a dime on sales of those tablets - you and I are buying them for the cost of production (by the millions!). As we see with windows computers, this is not a sustainable business model.

If, going forward, Apple sells 1/2 of all tablets....for the next 2-3 years, that will be vast numbers. Even if they sell 1/3 of all of them...same deal.

I'm not a big fan of IOS - but I do know Apple is a speeding train.

Now why in the world would anyone buy an iPad mini? You can do almost everything that does on iPhone and iPod touch.
Redundant.
Certain tasks fit a smaller size device.

I'm not going to make calls on a tablet, but I'm also not going to read a book on a phone. While you can read on a 10" tablet, it is much easier and much more comfortable to read on a 7".

Certain tasks fit a smaller size device.

I'm not going to make calls on a phone, but I'm also not going to read a book on a phone. While you can read on a 10" tablet, it is much easier and much more comfortable to read on a 7".
Huh?
Redundant.
I think an iPad is too big. My phone is too small.
My Nexus7 is just right. :)
I think many people will find a 7 or 7.85" display works.
It doesn't replace a laptop but is very portable.

Top Bottom