Apple products and pricing

I personally lost faith in macs whenI was given a brand new g4 laptop and upon opening it powering up and it would constantly power down every 5 minutes. Just as simple as that, powered down all the time for no reason whatsoever. I'll admit, I considered purchasing a mac desktop 6 months ago when i had this custom pc built that i'm using now (it came to 1650 gbp) and to answer your question it does indeed come with an abundance of wires x 2 monitors, desktop, and about 7-8 usb cables. But I was happy enough win7 made good progress enough to purchase it over my terrible g4 mac issues which most probably was the determining factor why i never purchased the mac.
I don't know about older macs... I also wasn't a fan of the older ones myself, and I did give them a look... but they're nothing compared to the new iMacs and OSX.

All OS do things, ie. like powering down automatically. It would have been a setting, and a fix would be posted.

Like yesterday, I paid about $30 through the Mac store to download the latest Lion release to test it out on one system. Apple have changed mouse behaviour to replicate iPhone and iPad behaviour, ie. touch behaviour, so it scrolls in the opposite direction when using a wheel. A quick search, there is a default setting, uncheck one box that never existed before, issue fixed.

All changes have video explanations / tutorials on them to inform you quickly.

I still am learning a new OS, and I expect it to take me a good 12 months to really comfortable. It took me a few days overall to quickly understand it all, but I like to also know more complex aspects and features, hence the longer duration. I couldn't expect to just pickup OSX when I had been using Windows for near 20 years, since its inception.

Reading Mac books designed for dummies, just gives so many quick tips and tricks, that surpass anything I have been able to do on Windows OS, out of the box.

Even our friends, after sitting down and seeing what Macs can truly do when showing them... they changed their systems near immediately... same problems... they have to get used to them, but they love a clean system, one power cable and thats it.

Some come into threads like this getting all defensive over their OS choice... as stated, I've used Windows for its entire life, and Mac is simply far superior than Windows as an overall system weighing all the pro's and con's of both as I discovered. MYOB was about one of the last software developers to shift into multi-platform... and they now cover Mac completely... any platform actually, as they also provide online versions only requiring a browser to access.

Boosting up the RAM and running VMWare or Parellels, bringing Windows into Mac, just rounds it out for those "IF" times that you may want something that is Windows only... especially games. I haven't come across anything of importance outside of games, that isn't already Mac available.

Wow, so much Mac hate in this thread... Makes me a very sad panda. If it wasn't for Apple, you have to some what wonder if some of the things many of us use daily, would it even exist now.. Like say Photoshop.. Adobe started as a Apple only company and made a lot of capitol to expand from the "fanatic" Apple graphic artist. Would we have such great Adobe products today if it wasn't for the very pro-Mac people 10 years ago... What about WoW? The most subscribed video game of all time, Blizzard started as a Mac only game company.

I take your point, and agree to some extent, but Adobe was already a big and wealthy company long before Photoshop, which grew out of their existing PostScript and Printer Driver software business from the early-mid 80's

Adobe is a lovely success story actually.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/history/timeline/index.html

Wow, so much Mac hate in this thread... Makes me a very sad panda. If it wasn't for Apple, you have to some what wonder if some of the things many of us use daily, would it even exist now.. Like say Photoshop.. Adobe started as a Apple only company and made a lot of capitol to expand from the "fanatic" Apple graphic artist. Would we have such great Adobe products today if it wasn't for the very pro-Mac people 10 years ago... What about WoW? The most subscribed video game of all time, Blizzard started as a Mac only game company.
Blizzard started out as a company doing console games for Nintendo, then game ports for Windows, Commadore, Amiga and Macintosh.

I 'm really surprised at you anthony. Not once have I seen you reply directly to a question and explain why you obviously think maccys (apple) are a better product than pcs.
Heres another little tidbit I just discovered today. Whilst running a word doc, I can right click on any aspect, save it as PDF, PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP, etc etc... PNG blew me away, being that it caters full transparency, which is just such a nice feature to have, especially when I want to grab an image from a document and save it without any hassle.

Obviously those feature are available within browsers... though this is within programs directly, with a quick click or shortcut.

Actually, they haven't caught up at all... you are in serious delusions if you think they have. Others are chasing Apple, not Apple chasing others. You don't gain and hold dominance by chasing the other players after the fact.

With your thinking, everything that is marketing, is just plain wrong... because you think the chaser will overtake the inventor. Wrong.

Microsofts latest smartphone OS... total garbage. Google Android... not bad, but again, Google are chasing... they all lost that market share the moment Apple beat them to the punch. Yahoo and Microsoft thought they could catch Google in the search market. Have they? Not even close... Google gained dominance by building and implementing innovation, the others try to catch, but as their busy playing catchup, Google are already working on the next leap again, thus maintaining dominance. People don't switch easily once they're used to a product. Sh*t, it took me until 2011 to switch from an OS and system I complained about and wanted to constantly throw out the window, because at the end of the day, I was familiar with it, being Windows + PC.

I wouldn't expect human behaviour to change that rapidly... Apple's dominance is growing, though I will agree, its not going to wipe out the PC market in one or two years... but I think the PC market is in for a real shakeup from Apple, as it gains a bigger chunk of the market share. One or two percent share in a trillion dollar market per annum... that's a big loss to one, a big gain to another, per annum.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but Android gained a large advantage over iOS just this last quarter -- nearly 15 percentage points. Apple is not dominating, but iOS still remains a very profitable and popular platform. The iPhone 5 will no doubt provide a nice boost, as well (I'll be buying one myself).

Anyway, I own several Android devices, iPhones, an iPad, Mac Pro, a few PC laptops and desktops. Some I use purely for developing and testing, and others for the sheer joy of it. I could name 10 things I like about each of them, as well as 10 more things I hate about each of them. The point is, it's all subjective. Different strokes for different folks.

Jason beat me to it, Android is by far the most popular Smartphone OS. Android aren't chasing, they're leaving everyone else behind.

These are US only figures, but given Apple is US based, you'd expect them to be strong here.

The top 3 smartphone platforms by market share, for 3 month ending Jul 2011 vs 3 months ending Apr 2011 are:

Google - 36.4% in April, 41.8% in July, an increase of 5.4 points
Apple - 26% in April, 27% in July, an increase of 1 point
RIM - 25.7% in April, 21.7% in July, a decrease of 4 points.

There are simply more Android phones out there than iPhones. Which given the head start Apple had is quite astounding.

source: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Event...July_2011_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

Looking on a global scale, Android is nearer to 50% market share, being the #1 OS in 35 of 56 countries tracked by Canalys.

Source: http://betanews.com/2011/08/01/android-is-no-1-in-35-countries-approaches-50-global-market-share/

Yep, the Android / iPhone platforms will be interesting to watch in the coming quarters...

Analysts state a current increase in Android is only due to many iPhone purchasers holding out for the new iPhone 5 release in just over a month.

Then you have some recent wins, and still court battles occurring, which could hurt Android significantly, with Apple winning some motions against rivals who have mimicked their patents via technological devices, thus Android as an OS will suffer, as both Motorola and Samsung are in court battling patent infringement of Apples existing patents through such mimicking of Apples devices. Some wins so far, some loses... more expected wins, as Apple has the patents. They kicked some Motorola devices already from sale in some countries due to patent infringement wins... with analysts stating whilst Motorola is changing the design, they believe such changes to avoid patent infringement will likely make the product unusable compared to Apples designs, which they are copying from for ideas.

Seems Apples holding out and patenting their designs is now doing them favours towards other companies copying what users all plunged towards... being Apples innovation. As more countries court cases continue, Motorola and Samsung could find themselves out in the cold, along with the Android OS.

Google are being hypocrites at present with their statements, saying Apple patents will kill competition and technological innovation, yet they used their exact patents to kill Yahoo and MSN from developing any like advancements in their search products... hence they are both dead in the water now as search engines compared to Google.

I think Google are going to have to lay down and take this kicking... even though they aren't being sued, their partners who they place their OS upon are, and they're losing more than winning right now.

People must also remember, iPhone is one product, one platform... before you get carried away with trying to say Android is bigger, when it is used over many companies, because they either can't developer their own well, they can't use Apples obviously, and Microsoft just suck. When you actually read the statistics correctly, Apple continues to grow more rapidly than Android, being one platform, one product, against one platform, many products. The comparison changes significantly when correctly compared and read statistically vs. quoting some selective news sources.

Has anyone else checked various forums / places on the internet with a variety of mobile devices? The iPhone 4 seems incredibly slow to pan/zoom compared to some others - connected wirelessly, not through the phone line.

Has anyone else checked various forums / places on the internet with a variety of mobile devices? The iPhone 4 seems incredibly slow to pan/zoom compared to some others - connected wirelessly, not through the phone line.
I surf the internet with it semi-regularly. I have no issues with slowness at all, including panning and/or zooming.

I surf the internet with it semi-regularly. I have no issues with slowness at all, including panning and/or zooming.
I realize that. But you may want to compare it to the other ones available to see the difference at some point.

When you compare market share you compare the operating system (iOS, BB, Android, WP7), not individual phones.
Oh? And where is that enshrined? Lol! Oh I get it, you're kidding, right? Yeah, that's what Steve Ballmer keeps saying too. In board rooms, when they compare market share, they look at who has the most of the marbles! Well, guess what!

Amazing that the company with a tiny share of the computer market and a minor share of the smart phone market has become the biggest corporation in the U.S. by market cap. I don't think they care how you choose to spin it.

Oh? And where is that enshrined? Lol! Oh I get it, you're kidding, right? Yeah, that's what Steve Ballmer keeps saying too. In board rooms, when they compare market share, they look at who has the most of the marbles! Well, guess what!

Amazing that the company with a tiny share of the computer market and a minor share of the smart phone market has become the biggest corporation in the U.S. by market cap. I don't think they care how you choose to spin it.
Android and Windows would still have more marketshare if you did it by device... They'd just be separated over multiple devices; the OS would still have the most sales overall.

It seems every forum must have a heated Apple vs PC thread and I've never really understood why. Both platforms have their virtues and both platforms would undoubtedly be weaker if the other didn't exist. Competition in the market place is essential as it's something we all generally benefit from.

I'm going to be unusual and advocate both platforms because I own and use both platforms on a daily basis.

Now, Intel or AMD, ATI or NVIDIA? :p

Top Bottom