Add-on Apple Mobile App

DRE

A programmer from Apple joined my site recently and has taken a liking to my site as this is the first time they've ever used the software. This poster wants to create a mobile app for the site and asked me to create a thread to see what users would like to see in the app. Unfortunately my members are kind of apathetic since some of them already use Tapatalk but there are still a lot of members on my site who don't want to pay for an App. I want to release my app for free though. This poster said that after they finish the app for my site it will probably be released in the Apple store.

What features would you like to see in an Apple Mobile Xenforo Forum App?

EDIT: If you are interested in my current project, sign up and reply here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4969012
or here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17140773#post17140773

No ads.
No mis-representation of content compared to the full version.

Sometimes they oversimplify what's in a post, or around it, and I personally feel it should be included.
Some forum apps for example strip out quotes and replace it with "in response to user x" without showing the quote, etc. Stuff like that.

Sometimes they oversimplify what's in a post, or around it, and I personally feel it should be included.
Some forum apps for example strip out quotes and replace it with "in response to user x" without showing the quote, etc. Stuff like that.
Oh okay. I rarely browse other forums from my phone these days so I haven't seen that before.

I use it daily and always use the full browser.
3g is at the least 2mbit here, and at the most 14mbit. And we don't usually get throttled or have data caps, we're still lucky the last few years in the Netherlands. So I use it while I can. And have no problems with it.

I use it daily and always use the full browser.
3g is at the least 2mbit here, and at the most 14mbit. And we don't usually get throttled or have data caps, we're still lucky the last few years in the Netherlands. So I use it while I can. And have no problems with it.
I haven't been browsing forums on my EVO Shift because I forgot that I could connect it to the internet through wifi. Only just recently remembered that I could and forgot about it all over again until I thought about your post. When you have slow internet, you kinda don't care cause there's nothing you can do about it, which makes it easy to forget.

My argument is completely invalid of course, because it's all about me and how I browse XenForo sites. Others are usually on dailup-3g and feel the solution is to have an app to get the minimal design solution. I rather just keep pushing the limits and up the averages so it slowly improves over time for everybody. If we keep telling providers that we only need 1 mbyte to browse a month, their argument will be that they dont need to up any limit as the average is around 1mbyte. Which would be 15, if everybody would ignore the restrictions and enjoy the net for what it's worth and just keep an eye on their limit (or change to a provider that does have better caps or even better, none).

its like that in the UK, almost every network offered unlimited or high data usage.. thats what is needed for a smartphone, and smartphone without data, is just a phone.. i didnt go spend £499 on my iPhone 4s to be limited to what i can do with it..

I get 4 Gigabyte data usage a month on Virgin Mobile , and previously i got unlimited, on o2.

i would rather have a mobile theme, then an app... an app is restrictive. and needs to be approved, updated, approved.. updated, approved.. mobile theme anyone can edit!

and the only reason i would use a mobile theme would be for easier use of the website.. i still browse full websites on my phone no problem, but having not to zoom etc would be an added bonus, and im sure when Kier and co have the time, they will make it happen.

its like that in the UK, almost every network offered unlimited or high data usage.. thats what is needed for a smartphone, and smartphone without data, is just a phone.. i didnt go spend £499 on my iPhone 4s to be limited to what i can do with it..

I get 4 Gigabyte data usage a month on Virgin Mobile , and previously i got unlimited, on o2.

i would rather have a mobile theme, then an app... an app is restrictive. and needs to be approved, updated, approved.. updated, approved.. mobile theme anyone can edit!

and the only reason i would use a mobile theme would be for easier use of the website.. i still browse full websites on my phone no problem, but having not to zoom etc would be an added bonus, and im sure when Kier and co have the time, they will make it happen.
This.

I have to agree with Martyn.

A mobile theme is a much worthy investment of time and potentially money than a mobile app. And you know what, Tapatalk is pretty awesome for those who want more of a "full app" experience with notifications etc. It's got a way to go, but it's nearly there.

There's also no point in creating just an Apple mobile app. You'd probably find that a larger proportion of your users in most cases will have Android phones (logical really, there's only really three current iPhone models 3GS, 4 and 4S vs many more Android models). Then there's those little darlings with Windows Phone and BlackBerry too.

That would be dope, but i just want a really good mobile skin. IPB is killing it with theirs, it looks works and works even better.

For android I used appgeyser to create my app.

I have created my own webview app with Eclipse ADT and when I feel like wasting $100 I'll be making an equivalent on iOS.
It's really not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Some companies are REALLY banking off you guys who pay $30-$100/m for the forum apps. Maybe if they were full featured with the push notifications and some other zingers, but basic webview apps >.> I expect within a year or so that everyone will know how to do it and then all you need to do is pay the developer fees.

lol! Well once I finish my app I'll post up the .apk file for android. After that it's up to everyone else to buy the dev license or pay someone to post it up for them. BUT it's only for android.

iOS is next on my list. I can only read so many things at one time lol

All you need a mobile friendly theme.

I have no idea why my members used the app more than just bookmarking and visiting the URL through a mobile browser. I suppose it's pure laziness but my stats and posting activity have gone up since I've released the android app.

Minor setback on iOS app for me...
I need an apple with a more up to date OSX lmao.
I can develop on windows but I can't submit from a windows OS. I have to submit from a newer Mac OSX version... I have to read more into this.
I have an old ibook g4... maybe i can get away with that lmao.

If you are interested in my current project, sign up and reply here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4969012

" please don't suggest Tapatalk as it costs $599 for their app and we can't customize it without upgrading to premium which is $3,499."

Are you sure thats how much it costs? On their site it says $99 setup fee and $39 monthly after that.

Although I am all for having our own independent apps - where we do not pay monthly subscriptions to a 3rd party.

Top Bottom