1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM 1.1 Anyway to restrict category updates?

Discussion in 'Resource Manager Support' started by MattH, Oct 28, 2014.

1. MattH

MattH Active Member

I want to allow people to update the body of a resource, but not the underlying category - is that possible in permissions anywhere?

It seems that with the current structure, if you change the category it moves the associated thread, which makes it hard to manage. I want people to be able to update the resource, but only have Mods move it.

Follow up question: if I delete all existing categories, and there are resources attached to them, will they be deleted also?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

1. Changing the category of a resource is actually a moderator-only action as is.

2. Resources will be deleted if you delete the containing category.
  3. MattH

MattH Active Member

Thanks Mike - I like the idea of members editing a resource, but not changing the category - because that makes it shift around the site. Is there any work around for that so they can continue to update it, but not change the category?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That would require custom development/an add-on.
    MattH likes this.
  5. Mike

I'm confused though -- as mention, changing the category is a moderator level action. They can still edit the resource, but not the category. (The category can only be changed if they can edit any resource in a category.)
  6. MattH

MattH Active Member

Maybe I misunderstood the permissions - I want any user to be able to edit any resource - not just their own... so people can pop in and update something to keep it fresh, but I don't want them to change category.. this is because it can shift the resource (and discussion) into a public area of the forum.
  7. Mike

Ahh, I didn't realize you were referring to resources other than the ones the users created themselves. As such, it would require custom development.
  8. MattH

MattH Active Member

Sorry for not making it clearer. Thanks again.