Anyone using Adsense Responsive Ad Unit (BETA) yet?

CTXMedia

I'm planning on updating all my sites to XF 1.2.1 over this next week and I need to decide whether to use multiple (different sized) ad units for each advertising slot or go with the new Adsense Responsive beta ad unit code and create a single ad for each slot.

Is anyone using the new Adsense Responsive code and if so how is it working out for you?

Any pitfalls or negatives? Can you break down reporting to specific sized ads? Are you sticking with the responsive code or considering separating the ads out into individual units?

Thanks,
Shaun :D

Yes.

Instructions are in my resource.

Yup, I'd seen that already (good resource (y)) - I was more interested in people's experience with the new ad code so far - how it was performing, how it might have impacted on revenue [plus/minus] and whether you still get the same level of reporting / breakdown in terms of location / units etc.?

Reporting of different sized ad units is not supported with the asynchronous beta code.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any difference between the two options.

I'm also running it on my 2nd site, for a single add position. Going to stick with the static one and the responsive CSS until reporting is sorted for my main site.

We use the AdSense responsive units on all 3 possible ad locations on digitalpoint.com (have been since it was introduced). For example the unit in the header can be 468x60, 234x60 or 320x50 depending on the screen size.

Haven't had any issues with it.

Don't you miss the reporting features?
No... After our first billion impressions (hah really), I more or less stopped caring. I log into AdSense interface like once a year now maybe. Plus users of digitalpoint.com (myself included) can see our AdSense daily/weekly/monthly totals, which is plenty for me.

Whatever I seem to be doing with Adsense lately only makes things worse. August has been a horrible horrible month.

I still hope its not related to the responsive design ads but I fear the worst. The arrows were a good improvement for text ads on the bottom of pages but since the favicon is introduced its meh.

Hope in some months we can ditch Adsense completely.

No... After our first billion impressions (hah really), I more or less stopped caring. I log into AdSense interface like once a year now maybe. Plus users of digitalpoint.com (myself included) can see our AdSense daily/weekly/monthly totals, which is plenty for me.
Me as well, using your stats just to view my account.

Join the club :(

I emailed Adsense support and (after an initial canned reply) asked about the way the responsive units were sold (since my ad units were brand new and I wanted to see if that had an impact?). I was advised that they go into an auction and that the new units should pick up over time.

They've picked up slightly in the past few days and I'm running at around -32% now - but interestingly the Google support guy said the units may eventually earn more than the previous static ones.

I've read that Google is now requiring all banner formats to be completed/submitted when new campaigns are created, so perhaps this will increase the pool of available smaller ad units and increase competition/bids between advertisers. <crossed finger smiley> (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: rdn
When was the last time Google said that their changes are not going to make you more revenue, lol. They constantly change stuff and for me its not for the better. (Last time I saw a relevant ad to my niche was in 1978)

Don't understand that in 2013 we are still not able to set our own preferred ad size. 728 is too large for most sites and 468 is too small. They come with a 300x600 size while it should have been a 600x250 or 600x300 :)

Google doesn't invent the sizes... they are "standard"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner

Do you think advertisers want to have to upload random non-standard sizes and go back to their art department to go non-standard sizes made up? In most cases, no... and you would end up with less advertisers.

If you want Google to support a new size, your best bet would be to petition IAB... http://www.iab.net/

Top Bottom