Anyone Use OpenOffice or Libre Office?

I never knew the difference between OpenOffice (now known as Apache Open Office) -vs- Libre Office.

They were built from the same code as Libre Office (if I recall) was an off branch of Open Office. They took over when Open Office's development seemed to be coming to an end. But Apache took over (it didn't end).

So I don't know if there is any difference at the moment.

They were built from the same code as Libre Office (if I recall) was an off branch of Open Office. They took over when Open Office's development seemed to be coming to an end. But Apache took over (it didn't end).

So I don't know if there is any difference at the moment.
The developers of OpenOffice left and created a fork from this, LibreOffice, as they didn't like the direction that things were going in under Oracle. OpenOffice development stalled whilst LibreOffice development continued. It was eventually taken over by Apache but there was no change in OpenOffice for over a year and the only real changes since then are licensing and some background coding. Things should now start moving on with OpenOffice but it's lost a lot of ground to LibreOffice.

The developers of OpenOffice left and created a fork from this, LibreOffice, as they didn't like the direction that things were going in under Oracle. OpenOffice development stalled whilst LibreOffice development continued. It was eventually taken over by Apache but there was no change in OpenOffice for over a year and the only real changes since then are licensing and some background coding. Things should now start moving on with OpenOffice but it's lost a lot of ground to LibreOffice.
Actually, I would say Libre Office needs to catch up to OpenOffice.

As much as I don't use Microsoft Office, its still out there. And so I need to be able to open and save documents in which people who are using Microsoft Office can exchange with me.

LibreOffice doesn't get that right yet. Both in how it codes documents and also the file formats.

But I will say the LibreOffice is more faster loading and seems to use less resources. They also seem to be working hard on optimizing a 64 bit version.

I go with the theory, one commercial computer in the office network needs a copy of standardize software for reliability sake. :)

Top Bottom